Manor
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Okay folks, I’ve decided I’m going to make my brand new pool even better and go with a SWG!!! Although I’ve got Pentair automation, I’ve decided to go with CircuPool RJ-45 over the Pentair based solely on my ability to self-install while maintaining the full warrant, unless someone has a strong argument not too. I plan on buying the RJ-30 from discountsaltpool and use the $5 offer to go to the next size up!! I’m assuming that’s not too much overkill here or is it (5x my volume)?

As I think this through, I’m thinking I should be able to power it from my panel as a feature circuit and assign a timer for x time per day that will meet the minimum flow requirement (currently run pump 24/7 @1200 RPM). Is this a doable approach? Is there a better method, or am I wrong In my thinking.

im a bit excited about this project. Is something wrong with me?!?!

If you have Pentair automation you should get an IC SWG. It will integrate with your automation seamlessly giving you the safety feature of not allowing the SWG to run unless the pump is running. This is an important feature. If you buy an IntelliChlor online with an “EC-xxxxx” part number, you are allowed to self install it and get the 2 year warranty.

im a bit excited about this project. Is something wrong with me?!?!
Not around here! You have found your tribe! 🤣
We’re excited for you!
Joining Welcome Home GIF

MLC,

Well, it is not what I would recommend, but it will work.

I have an EasyTouch and use the IntelliChlor IC40.. This allows me to adjust the cell from ScreenLogic. Not something you can do if you use the off brand cell.

If I did not have an EasyTouch I would use a CircuPool cell. But it does not make any sense to me to have an EasyTouch and not use an IntelliChlor Cell.

You get ScreenLogic pages like this one..

View media item 1963

You obviously need the Power Center and the cell.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the input, both of ya, I clearly missed the part somewhere of the two year warranty being available on self-installs with the Pentair and that does change things a bit, so I’m still in the market but am going to consider this new info.

I'm assuming, based on what’s posted here the IC-40 is a good bet for my small pool, providing plenty of breathing room without overworking it and helping maximize my investment?

Reactions: Newdude
MLC,

Let's see what Marty has to say.. Calling @mknauss

I am not sure about a new install being covered by the Pentair warranty. It is true that if you already have a Pentair SWCG system, that you can replace the old cell under warranty, I am just not sure about a completely new install. :scratch:

I never, ever base my purchases on the warranty. I used to run several non-pool related repair centers and know how warranties work.. The vast majority of sales never fail until long after any warranty has expired, or they fail within the first 30 days. A warranty is just a sales tool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

As you can see, I have a 6000 gallon pool. With an IC 40. It works great for me. I replaced the cell late last year after 8 years with the first one. It had not completely died yet, but was acting up.
I agree that if you have a Pentair automation system, get an Intellichlor. Polytec Pools in Las Vegas has the full system (power center and IC40) for $1500.

Thanks for the feedback on this guys. I’m traveling for work this week so I’m going to ponder all this. my Initial belief was there was no warranty at all if the Pentair was self installed, but now that there is a one to get me started, my thoughts have shifted back towards favoring the IC40 because it integrates seamlessly with the automation.

The IntelliChlor line (IC-20/40/60) are solid SWG’s with a long history of good performance. Their only Achilles Heel is the flow switch sometimes goes flaky and that’s where they’ve embedded a thermistor to read temperature for the on-board electronics. When that thermistor goes wonky, the unit reports wacky salinity readings. There’s simple work-around for it and replacing them is stupid-simple to do. It’s just a nuisance more than anything else and you’d think Pentair would attempt to change the design to improve it but … nope. Other than that, my IC-40 gave me 8 solid years of chlorine production with no hassle. I’m on an IC-60 now and it’s just come back to life from its winter slumber and the FC output is “smoking hot” … I need to adjust it down a bit. Anyway, the seemless integration with your automation is more than worth it.

Okay, it is time to do this. I’ve decided on the Pentair IC40. It seems the cheapest place I can find is PoolSupplyforLess at $1499.00 (199 off now) for both 520555/556. Amazon can be had for $1604 As well as a couple in between there (Discountsalt, epoolsupply)

Can anyone suggest elsewhere? I’ve done quite a bit of looking today and will pull the trigger soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It appears that's polytech pools price also. I have to log in for confirmation but the link claimed it was $1499.

Everywhere else was considerably higher.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Okay, it is time to do this. I’ve decided on the Pentair IC40. It seems the cheapest place I can find is PoolSupplyforLess at $1499.00 (199 off now) for both 520555/556. Amazon can be had for $1604 As well as a couple in between there (Discountsalt, epoolsupply)

Can anyone suggest elsewhere? I’ve done quite a bit of looking today and will pull the trigger soon.

$1,499.95 for the IC40 and power supply

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.