Silver Supporter
May 30, 2020
Central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I know this has been asked before but I can't the answer to my specific question. The way I have my valve set up now, I know that most of the suction is pulling to the skimmer. But for the main drain, should the valve be in position 1 or 2 based on the picture? I don't know what percentage of the main drain each position is closing off, like does position 1 close off 10%, or 40% and does position 2 close off something different? I can't find that specific answer so I'm hoping someone here knows. I've seen that the skimmer/main split should be like 70/30 or even 80/20 but I'm not sure which one gives me that. I've tried just changing them and don't see much of a difference in water flow or filter pressure so maybe it's all just irrelevant? Should I even bother to keep the main drain open or just close it completely?

Attachments

• valves.jpg
    valves.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 66
I've tried just changing them and don't see much of a difference in water flow or filter pressure so maybe it's all just irrelevant?
Pretty much. You want the bulk of the flow to aid the skimming. The filter doesn't care where the water comes from. Have a little from the main drains just in case a skimmer clogs, and for the little bit of circulation help (admittedly it's not alot). Whether that is a 80/20 or 90/10 split is up to you. :)

Reactions: V___25
V,

When I look at your pic I see the main drain open about 50% while the skimmer is open 100%.

I this were my pool, I would either shut the main drain off, or only open it about 10%.

You definitely do not want the "Off" tab pointed toward #1 as then you are restricting the water path into the pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I shut off the main drain for trial and error purposes and my filter pressure dropped to like 1 and my skimmer was barely moving.

I turned off the other one to confirm I didn’t have my lines crossed and the skimmer stopped completely so the lines are right. I opened the main back up and filter pressure went right back up to 8 and water was flowing good again in the skimmer and into the pump.

Is it odd that by shutting off the main drain line that the skimmer barely pulls too? I thought the lines were plumbed independently but is it possible they are connected?

Still learning new things about this pool all the time…

Position 2
You can't get to position 1 without jumping the handle stop (by lifting the handle and twisting passed the stop).

Position 1 will restrict flow from both the main drain and skimmer.

the valve lets me go to what I have labeled as 1 without any special action. I’ve never tried to turn it beyond that, counter clockwise I suppose it would be, so that Off is completely at the pump inlet. Is my valve busted?

the valve lets me go to what I have labeled as 1 without any special action. I’ve never tried to turn it beyond that, counter clockwise I suppose it would be, so that Off is completely at the pump inlet. Is my valve busted?
More likey the stop has been removed (cut off) the bottom of the handle - under the OFF. Or the handle isn't fully seated on the valve. Show us a pic of the underside of the handle.

Turning OFF to point anywhere near INLET on the valve cover will deadhead the pump. Don't do that.

Reactions: V___25
More likey the stop has been removed (cut off) the bottom of the handle - under the OFF. Or the handle isn't fully seated on the valve. Show us a pic of the underside of the handle.

Turning OFF to point anywhere near INLET on the valve cover will deadhead the pump. Don't do that.
I’ll grab a picture tomorrow. But noted on not turning the handle anywhere near off by the inlet. Will not do that!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’ll mess with it again tomorrow and get some pictures or video of what I’m doing and things I’m turning. There is a very, very good chance this is all user error.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Good morning! I tried to get some video of what’s happening with my drain and skimmer valve but I can’t share them so here’s pics instead. In the first ones, the main drain is open to position 2 (from pic in first post) and skimmer is fully open. Filter pressure up around 10, skimmer action and good return from return jets.

Then I close the main drain, filter pressure drops, and there is hardly and flow out of the returns but water is still moving through the skimmer, just slowly.

I know we need a new pump but that's a whole other topic. Could this be related to that?

Oh and I tried moving the valve to close off the inlet completely (with the pump off of course) and it let me with no issue so that confirms the handle is busted, assuming it should stop me.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 16
Nothing crazy - pump, filter, 2 returns, one skimmer, one main drain

Attachments

• IMG-0715.jpg
    IMG-0715.jpg
    712.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-0712.jpg
    IMG-0712.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-0713.jpg
    IMG-0713.jpg
    753.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-0714.jpg
    IMG-0714.jpg
    707 KB · Views: 12
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.