Magnesium/Mineral pools, how to convert

kelseyeek

Feb 24, 2022
Everett, WA
I recently purchased a house with an indoor pool (in the Seattle area), and am trying to research what it would take to convert it to a salt water system, or ideally a magnesium/potassium system (and to be clear, magnesium chloride, not the magnesium sulfate of Epsom salts). Lots of places call that a mineral pool, but then we run into the problem that there are two types of sanitization systems referred to that one. One being the potassium/magnesium chloride systems, and the other being silver/copper/zinc or whatever type systems like the Frog system - and I'm definitely talking about the former.

I've read through every post that mentions magnesium, and see a few threads that started this conversation, but usually they taper off very quickly (started by people like me who then stop responding), or are from about a decade ago, and centered more around a couple of products being sold in Australia rather than thoughts on how to do this.

First, the reason I want to convert to salt or magnesium is that pretty much everyone in my family is prone to skin irritation, and are struggling with our chlorine-sanitized pool. It definitely gets worse the higher the chlorine levels go, but even when I've dropped them to ~1, there are still some issues. On the other hand, whenever we've had the chance to swim in a salt water pool all of us have loved it - easier on the eyes, the skin, and the hair. And I do understand that there's chlorine in a salt water pool - but our experience has been pretty clear cut on this one. While my interest in the magnesium pools falls under the "I read on the internet that...", my desire to avoid an exclusively-chlorine based system is based on how our bodies have reacted to salt water and chlorine-sanitized pools.

As to why I'm looking at Magnesium/Potassium in lieu of sodium, there are a couple of reasons. The primary reason is that I think my existing pool would fall apart if I switched to sodium chloride. I have a metal ladder, and aluminum coping. The coping is pretty old (I don't think the previous owners changed it out when the redid the pool in 2002, so it might be original, going back ~40 years), and at least one section is seriously corroded. To the point that I am trying to get someone to replace it, but it's a struggle to find anyone to either give me a quote, or who has availability before the end of 2023. So at the moment I'm focused on triage and buying some time. I've had a few people talk about the level of bonding and grounding, implying that it's likely inadequate for conversion to salt water. And finally, we're limping along on a very old heater, I think maybe from the 80s, that's still going, but I'd imagine the heat exchanger is paper thin by now, and probably wouldn't tolerate much more stress to it. I have seen repeated references to the corrosive effects of magnesium/potassium being ~an order of magnitude less than sodium. Of course now that I'm writing a post I cannot find those references, but I swear I read them.

And second, I'm kind of a little bit sold on the benefits of submersion in magnesium - not to the 'cures cancer, baldness, infertility, political infighting, and disrespectful children' level that places like MagnaPool try to sell. But along the lines of Epsom salts, with helping to calm nerves and relax muscles (another joyful issue faced by my wife and myself), and to hydrate skin. My wife loves being in the pool, but the effect it has on her skin and hair kind of sucks. The less stressful the water, the longer she'll stay in, the happier she'll be, and the happier I'll be.

So right, maybe that's enough background. On to a couple of questions.

First, am I an idiot who is missing something big here? I can find a few people and stores in the US advocating for this, but not many. It just doesn't seem to be a thing here, and I'm not entirely sure why.

Second, how do I convert the pool? Clearly I'd need to start with removing the chlorine tablets, and installing a chlorine generator. Also, at least some of the things I've read insist that my current cartridge filter wouldn't be adequate, and that I'd need to replace it with a glass-media filter. I think I've found places to buy magnesium chloride and potassium chloride in bulk. I just haven't been able to find a guide on how to do this. Plenty of companies offering to help do so, primarily in Australia but also one in the sunbelt, and another that makes it as far north as Portland, but that doesn't really help me. It's hard to pony up the money to get help with the pool when it involves airfare, room, and board. I imagine my heater will explode an hour after I do this, because reasons, but then it might explode before I hit "post" anyway. And since it's been 2 months trying to get a quote to replace it out of local companies, then this whole issue would go fallow for a couple of years, or until I get the courage to replace the heater myself.

And third, how do I maintain it? Are there strips that would detect the magnesium and/or potassium levels? Would I need to test those independently? Otherwise, I think I just maintain it as a salt water pool.

Anyway, and suggestions or thoughts? I'd love to hear them.

Reactions: Mr. Mario
Hey Kelsey and Welcome !!! If you've been using chlorine tabs as your primary sanitation, you've likely not beed sanitizing. See the FC/CYA Levels each tab adds more CYA which requires more FC to achieve the same sanitization. At any approved level between the two, it's less harsh than tap water. With a properly maintained pool, you'd likely be fine unless you are also irritated in the bath/shower.

I vote hardcore for salt/SWG. It's widely available and super easy to maintain. I had 3 friends with severe excema like skin issues and all 3 raved how great my salt pool felt. They returned many times to enjoy it.

Thank you, Newdude - the CYA level is something I hadn't been paying too much attention to yet. I was following the advice of the guys at AquaQuip to start, and this hadn't come up. But looking at the records, it's risen from 70 to 109 in the last three months. So, now to do something about that! I've only now exhausted the stock of chlorine tablets the previous owners left us 5 months ago. I hadn't looked carefully at what they had until your note, but it turns out to have been stabilized. The stuff I just bought was not. Given that it's an indoor pool with little-to-no direct sunlight, it seems like I have some work to do to get the CYA out.

If we reach the point of deciding to redo the coping, replace the ladder, and replace the heater - and can find anyone to do that, then salt water would certainly be my goal. I'm just too worried about the corrosion to go straight there until I've been able to correct those issues.

Reactions: jwhitt
Bloody heck - I search through every post that mentions "magnesium" before posting anything, and only when I actually make my own thread does the "similar threads" list point to this post. <sigh>

I thought one of the benefits of Magnesium Chloride/Potassium Chloride mixes, in lieu of Sodium Chloride, was the reduced corrosion. Whereas I've heard the opposite about Magnesium Sulfate. Is Magnesium Sulfate what's considered no good for pools? I'm really crossing my fingers that this is true so I can convert my pool to some form of salt (magical or otherwise) without it disintegrating.

As to the feel of the water - Epsom salts aren't subtle; it does feel totally different than pure water, or salt water, or chlorinated water. I hear it described as "silky", though the adjective that most readily comes to mind for me is "sticky" - not like it make your skin feel sticky, but once it's on your skin (which does feel smooth, lubricated) it doesn't feel like it comes off. What I don't know is if Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate) feel the same as Magnesium Chloride. Maybe I just need to buy some bags and fill up a kiddy-pool...

I thought one of the benefits of Magnesium Chloride/Potassium Chloride mixes, in lieu of Sodium Chloride, was the reduced corrosion. Whereas I've heard the opposite about Magnesium Sulfate. Is Magnesium Sulfate what's considered no good for pools? I'm really crossing my fingers that this is true so I can convert my pool to some form of salt (magical or otherwise) without it disintegrating.

from How bad are the sulfates on plaster and in a salt pool?

See the thread Sulfates why so bad? and Sulfates - what's the problem?. You will see sources that say that sulfates at around 300 ppm become an issue for plaster. There is also this paper that describes the far greater recrystallization pressure from magnesium sulfate compared to magnesium chloride for splash-out that could affect stone and concrete surfaces.

Using magnesium chloride you will need to adjust your hardness testing…

Hey @kelseyeek 👋
Welcome to tfp 😊
Before trying to add a swg you can start by getting a proper test kit (Taylor k2006 or tf100) & testing/maintaining the water yourself using Recommended Levels .
This is necessary for using a swg anyway. A salt pool is a chlorine pool. Alot of the issues u are describing are the consequences of UNDER sanitized water & improper ph balance so shoring that up may very well eliminate alot of your issues.
To start , if your cya is as high as u say (this needs confirmation w/ your own kit) then you will need to exchange some water to get cya down to around 30ppm there are a few ways to go about this 👇
Afterwards you would then follow the FC/CYA Levels which is currently impractical at the cya level u described. At your current cya level you need to be maintaining a fc level of at least 10ppm to have sanitary water. Ph testing at fc levels above 10ppm is inaccurate so you can see where this would become an issue with balancing your pool.

Bloody heck - I search through every post that mentions "magnesium" before posting anything, and only when I actually make my own thread does the "similar threads" list point to this post. <sigh>

As to the feel of the water - Epsom salts aren't subtle; it does feel totally different than pure water, or salt water, or chlorinated water. I hear it described as "silky", though the adjective that most readily comes to mind for me is "sticky" - not like it make your skin feel sticky, but once it's on your skin (which does feel smooth, lubricated) it doesn't feel like it comes off. What I don't know is if Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate) feel the same as Magnesium Chloride. Maybe I just need to buy some bags and fill up a kiddy-pool...
If it helps any, the chlorine levels in a salt pool and chlorine pool are basically the same. The only difference is where the chlorine comes from. Its very likely that your issues are caused by over stabilization (tablets) which is causing under sanitation (skin rashes). But no reason not to convert to a salt pool (salt water chlorinated pool). I'll never go back just from the jug lugging it saves me.

Reactions: Mdragger88
. I hadn't looked carefully at what they had until your note, but it turns out to have been stabilized. The stuff I just bought was not
If it isn't stabilized with CYA, it's likely stabilized with Calcium. (Cal-Hypo). Wanna guess what that will do to your CH readings ? :)

Now. If you have a reliable test kit, you can keep tabs on your levels, know where you are and if you can afford to add some pucks with CYA, or powder with Calcium. *MOST* importantly, you will be properly sanitizing the whole time staying plenty far away from minimum FC. The swimmers rash/ itch will magically disappear most likely.

I thought one of the benefits of Magnesium Chloride/Potassium Chloride mixes, in lieu of Sodium Chloride, was the reduced corrosion.
I just had to look this up as my advanced placement chemistry student told me today that the simplest definition of a salt is any metal combined with a non metal. Both magnesium chloride and Potasium chloride are in fact salts, the same way that Sodium chloride is. Magnesium Chloride is even rumored to more corrosive than Sodium Chloride.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The corrosiveness is really confusing me. What I could also showed that magnesium was more corrosive, and potassium maybe comparable. And yet the consumer reports from those who use mineral pools report lower corrosion, and no need for a sacrificial anode. I'm definitely not clear on the chemistry here.

There are other benefits to magnesium that we're chasing as well, especially the muscle and nerve benefits. Both of us have issues there, and given how often we're in the pool, that seems like a win for us.

And to the pool chemistry - I've been struggling there a bit, but things seem to be mostly back on track. One we have a time period in which we're not planning on using the pool I'll start to drain off to remove the CYA. Took me a while to realize that the store wasn't differentiating between indoor and outdoor pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.