Lower than suggested TA levels - Is this a bad idea?

STxFarmer

Nov 3, 2015
McAllen, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Little over a month in on a 23 year old pool with new plaster. Ran it as a normal chlorine pool using liquid chlorine for the first month and during that time my TA was always below the suggested level, last test was 46. Always have kept my TA levels in the suggested range and the one thing I had to do every week was add acid to adjust my pH. Like clockwork it was always about 32 oz/weekly. Over this past month my pH has been the most stable that I have ever seen with this pool with little to no acid adjustments. So this week I have added my salt back and getting the SWG balanced with the new pool changes. So my question is whether running my pool with a lower than accepted TA will shorten the life of my plaster? I must say it has been extremely nice have a pH that stays within a very small range now.

Have read several threads on this subject and most of the time it ends with what ever works for the individual pool. So is my TA just too low to be safe in the long run. Don't want to spend $9K anytime soon to redo the plaster I just did.

Little over a month in on a 23 year old pool with new plaster. Ran it as a normal chlorine pool using liquid chlorine for the first month and during that time my TA was always below the suggested level, last test was 46. Always have kept my TA levels in the suggested range and the one thing I had to do every week was add acid to adjust my pH. Like clockwork it was always about 32 oz/weekly. Over this past month my pH has been the most stable that I have ever seen with this pool with little to no acid adjustments. So this week I have added my salt back and getting the SWG balanced with the new pool changes. So my question is whether running my pool with a lower than accepted TA will shorten the life of my plaster? I must say it has been extremely nice have a pH that stays within a very small range now.

Have read several threads on this subject and most of the time it ends with what ever works for the individual pool. So is my TA just too low to be safe in the long run. Don't want to spend $9K anytime soon to redo the plaster I just did.
How did you get a result of 46?

If you are following the TFP levels listed below, your plaster will be fine. Accurate testing is key, which is why Jim asked that question above. But to answer your basic question, a lower TA does help to keep the pH from rising too much. You could allow the TA to fall as low as 50 and still be fine. Be sure to include what test kit your are using to your signature. It will help later.

That was the test at Leslie's that I quoted. But I also use my TF-100 that I purchased when I moved into this house And I do update my solutions yearly to make sure they are current. With fresh water I was in the 20 range so I bumped it up a little So now I am in the range of 40 -50 and I quoted the Leslie's result Learned to listen to the people here years back. When I am getting my pool back in balance I do a lot more testing, daily pH and FC then the others weekly. Once things get back in balance and stable I quit checking my results to Leslie's results

I would love to keep my TA down to the 50 range but not sure if that is just too low long term for my new plaster According the TFP I should be in the 60 - 80 and it says this is IMPORTANT. So as normal I am questioning how important the 60 - 80 level is? Just love the stability of my pool right now as it is easier than ever to keep it in balance. Maybe my new plaster is easier on my pH as the old stuff was in pretty bad shape. Not sure of what is what so I am just trying to sort out the differences.

So as normal I am questioning how important the 60 - 80 level is?
The 60-80 is an "ideal" range, but owners still have room to go above or below a bit. Other factors such as the current CH, pH, water temp, and type pool/equipment all play a part. If you wish to maintain a TA of 60 or more, you certainly can. There's a good bit of flexibility with the TA. As long as the pH doesn't shoot upwards too fast on you that's fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.