Cypress, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,
15k gallon non-salt water pool.
My TA was low 4 weeks ago (30) so I added 16lbs of baking soda. The pH kept rising to 8+ super fast after that so I kept adding muriatic acid to bring it back down.
Today I tested my TA again and it's only 47, so I added 4lbs baking soda. My pH is rising quickly after doing so, again, so I'm again adding acid to keep the pH down.
I don't have any fountains running or aeration. I'm using sodium hypochlorite (liquid chlorine) 13% that I buy in bulk for chlorination.
I feel like the constant baking soda to raise TA and acid to lower pH is causing me to go thru both fast and feels counter productive.
I also think I may be adding softened water as my TDS is high and I can taste a bit of saltiness - I'm trying to find someone to see if they can bypass my softener on my pool refill.
I'm waiting around 8 hours after adding baking soda to bring the pH back down, but it seems like it's just bringing the TA right back down with it.

It is not possible to get a TA of 47 using a Taylor kit.

Are you still using the pH probe for pH? Realize that getting a pH over 8 with a TA of 40 or less with any CYA in the water is not chemically possibly unless you borax or some other caustic material.

I’m using a keto-ai smart skimmer but my Taylor and Leslies read the same. To clarify, I didn’t get to test the alkalinity while the pH was >8. But my pH climbs daily and I add acid every other day roughly to keep my under 8. I probably need to test TA more often but I tend to test it when the pH is 7.2-7.6 and the last two times my taylor kit turned colors after 4 drops.

taylor kit turned colors after 4 drops.
I believe the TA test is complete when the color stops changing, not when it starts. For me that was usually 2-3 drops more. Add drops till there's no more color change, and don't count the last drop that doesn't change color past Barbie pink.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.