Low pH and TA

Apr 1, 2016
Twin Cities, MN
I’ve been trying to get my pH up for a couple years and it appears it came back to bite me. Acidity in the water appears to have destroyed the pool heater. TA is quite low as well and not sure how to handle that. Appreciate any recommendations!

Ph 6.6 or less (measured 6.2 on test strip)
FC 2
CC .5
TA 40
CH 500

I tried using air to increase the ph, but was never successful. Could try really pumping air in with a large air compressor as a next step.

How are you testing your water chemistry? Strips do not count.
What is your CYA?
How do you chlorinate?
Raise your TA to 70 ppm.

OK -- best to use baking soda first to see if that resolves the situation. Raise the TA to 70 ppm and circulate well. Test pH and TA. If pH still below 7, use Borax to raise the pH a few points.

Cal Hypo will also raise your pH some. Be sure it does not sit on the pool surface as it will stain it.

Reactions: minisoda
You have to leave the cover off the pool, at least during the day. Wind causes aeration. The CO2 also can off gas when the cover is open.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So the air compressor for a couple of hours had zero affect on the ph and I didn't want to run my nice expensive air compressor for days on end.

Dumped in 16 pounds of Borax this morning (per pool math) and voila! Sitting right at 7.5.

Unfortunately the water really clouded up after the Borax... hopefully the filter clears that out in the next couple days!

Because your TA is high, the borax caused carbonate to precipitate. It will redissolve slowly.

Your TA number cannot be as high as you say and have no pH rise. Chemistry demands it.

The pH would rise naturally with a TA of 100. No borax needed. I suspect your TA is now higher.

Ah, I understand! I'm a little gun-shy after the low pH destroyed our pool heater. Was working to get it up quickly. I will post new numbers shortly.
Do you have a tablet chlorinator thing? Did you use it in the past? The use of trichlor, and especially leaving tablets in a chlorinator with the pump off, will destroy the heater.

No. Used tricolor in the past until we had a CYA issue and had to drain/refill. Since then have done pure bleach and last year mostly cal hypo.

We've had the pool for 6 years and it's had low pH since day one... I just ignored it since the pool was crystal clear. Learned my lesson... from everyone I've talked to, low pH is the cause here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.