Low flow

Mpire

Jul 7, 2018
SE Louisiana
I’ve noticed lately that the overflow from hot tub to pool is severely reduced.

One pump runs the returns in the pool and returns in the hot tub which overflows into the pool. Hot tub is part of the system furthest from the pumps. The returns in the pool seem to work fine.

For the last few months the overflow from hot tub to pool has been a little reduced. Water just barely makes it over the lip into the pool.

Now the last few weeks when the booster pump for the cleaner is ON I notice that the overflow from hot tub is severely reduced. You can hardly feel any flow from the hot tub returns. Pool returns still seem to work fine.

Does this mean my pool pump is failing? Any tests I can do or further investigation?

I appreciate any help or advice.

M,

The most likely cause is that your filter is dirty.. I doubt your pump is bad.

When was the last time you cleaned your filter?

Please add your pool's signature. We need to know all about your pool before we can provide you with correct answers... you can use mine for a reference.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Richard320
I agree with JIm. It's most likely a clogged filter. It could also be a clogged pump strainer, or even a bunch of pine needles in the impeller, but clogged filter is far more likely.

Water takes the path of least resistance, so until the closer returns are completely supplied, nothing is going to make the trip to the spa. And the booster steals even more of it.

Thank you for the responses. That sounds like good news to me. I'll start working on the filter.

I bought a house with a pool about a year ago, so I am still very new to this. I have a pool service that comes every other week to clean, etc and I check the chemicals myself as well (TF 100). They say they periodically backwash the filter, but I suspect they rarely, if ever, do.

Working on the signature, but it keeps saying its too spammy. Until I figure it out here is what I have:
17K Gal, IG, 30' x 15' L shaped pool, gunite, hot tub overflow into pool, RicoRock water falls. Jandy Equipment: Aqualink RS with PDA, AquaPure SWG, 2 HP Jandy Pump (main), 2.7 HP Jandy VS Pump (waterfalls), 1.1 HP Pentair Boost-Rite (cleaner), CL460 Cartridge Filter

M,

OK... this is why we need pool signatures... I see that you have a cartridge filter.. If this is true, then it cannot be "backwashed", it has to be opened and the cartridges hosed down and then everything put back together... You can do it yourself, or I suspect your pool service will be glad to charge you a bunch of money to do it for you... :mrgreen:

Nothing the pool service does is very hard.. I am pretty sure you can do all, or at least most of it, yourself.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Gotcha. Started watching videos and I can easily do this myself tomorrow.

The only step I haven't yet figured out is how to re-fill the filter after I've done everything. I watched how to bleed off the air as it fills, but the videos seem to take the actual step of getting water in there for granted. Surely I don't just turn the pump on...as everything will be drained down at this point. I'll find the jandy manual and just follow that.

Thank you, again!

Don't call me Shirley!! :mrgreen:

That is exactly what you do.. After everything is back together and the filter band is tight, you just turn on the pump. The pump will pull water from the pool and push it into the filter.. After the pump is up and running, I find it works best to open the air relief valve on top of the filter until water come shooting out, then close it. There will be a lot of belching and bubbles, in the pool, just ignore it and pretend your mother in law is there... :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Teald024
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.