Low Flow

randal106

Bronze Supporter
Jul 19, 2017
South Alabama
Hey guys, had this pool for about 4 months now, and every few days, I get "Low Flow" on my SWCG IC60, and hardly any water is coming out the returns. This happens after about 5 hours running at 1700RPM. Filter pressure stays the same when this happens (About 6 PSI @1700RPM). Pump is still running the same RPM when this happens. This has been happening from the start, and the only way i get my flow back is if i turn the pump off and back on. No air in the pump basket, no air bubbles coming out the returns, pump runs fine, etc.. I Have been slowing increasing my RPM every time it happens over the last few months to resolve this (Started at 1100RPM, and now at 1700RPM). Help..... Pool Company is no use, they say "Its working fine"

PS: I pulled the drive / motor off the pump today to check the impeller, no issues there nothing in the impeller veins.
I have 2 skimmers and main drain, Main drain is tied to one skimmer. Pool Pump is about 90' from returns / skimmers.
Easy touch is set to run the pump 24/7 @ 1700RPM right now, would like to get back to 24/7 @ 1200RPM like the pool company originally recommended

Randal,

When is the last time you backwashed your filter?

Basically either the IC60 has low flow or not... If the flow out of the returns was good then you would have to assume it was an IC60/Flow switch issue... But, with the flow out of the returns low that would indicate the IC60 is ok but you really do have a water flow issue.

The most likely cause would be that your filter is dirty...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have back washed about 6 times since the pool was installed (Usually about every 2 weeks), But I Back washed yesterday, and had the low flow issues this morning.... The sand filter they put on this pool is pretty big i thought... 26" 350lbs of sand.. Pentair Model#145386

Randal,

Does your Sand Filter have a recirculate position on the multiport valve??

If so, set the multiport to recirculate and see if the flow light goes good and you get good flow to the pool return eyeballs...

After your filter, where does the water go??? You can post a pic if you like...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Filter>SWCG>Returns (2 different return lines, one bubbler)

Can i move the Multiport to recirculate when the pump is running? otherwise if i turn off the pump to move the multiport, it will start back up fine. This usually happens after about 5 hours of running normally..

Attachments

• 20180316_125741.jpg
    20180316_125741.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 43
Randal,

You don't want to make a habit of turning the multiport with the pump running, but doing it once or twice should not hurt anything, especially if the pump is running at a low rpm...

Too bad they didn't make your pad a little more earthquake proof... :p

I was hoping to see some obvious plumbing issue, but I don't... No heater or anything else that could be in the way.. Unless the pump basket is full of air, I can't see any issues...

I should have asked earlier, is your water clear or is it green??? Have you recently added any pool store "Magic" in an effort to clear it up???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Happened again this morning, moved the Multiport to recirculate, and the flow returned. So the filter is dirty, Is it normal to have to backwash a 26" sand filter every few days? Last pool I had i only backwashed about twice a month.... Could there be something stuck in the multiport valve?

And since I know your gonna ask, here are the test results this morning from TF-100:

FC: 5.0
CC: 0.0
pH: 7.5
TA: 60
CH: 100
CYA: 40
temp: 69
Salt: 2900

Randal,

I would not think it normal to have to backwash that often... I have a cartridge filter and only clean it twice a year!!!

I suggest you run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT)... Here is how.. Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

I suspect you will fail, even though your water is clear... Something is filling your filter... Have you added any pool store "magic" chemicals in the past few months that could have collected in your filter?

If you pass the OCLT, then I would do a deep clean of your sand filter...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.