Loud Pump - Seeking Replacement Advice

Acuity

Jun 11, 2018
Londonderry, NH
My pump has suddenly got really loud. After some Googling, it sounds like either the bearings or motor have gone bad. The pressure being output is still where it was — the only symptom is a really loud motor.

Here is what it sounds like:

Here are some pictures of my setup:

I see a similar Hayward pump here for $252: Amazon.com : Hayward SP1593 PowerFlo Matrix 1.5 HP Above-Ground Swimming Pool Pump : Swimming Pool Cartridge Filter Inserts : Garden & Outdoor. There is also a 1.5 HP dual speed pump $299. Is it worth the extra price for the dual speed?

I have zero plumbing experience so naturally I went to the pool store first where they quoted me a price of $425 for a 1.5 HP Powerflo Matrix pump and another $130 to install. This being said, I don't mind giving it a shot, and maybe hiring a plumber to finish the job if I'm unsuccessful. Do you think the pump I linked would be okay / work with my setup? It looks like the feed going into the pool's filter is vertical on the Amazon picture while mine is horizontal. I assume this can be rotated by unscrewing it?

Thanks for any advice.

Yeah that doesn’t sound good. I just picked up a Hayward Variable Speed 1.5hp with a built in timer and I’m in love with it. Well worth the money if you can find one that fits your pool. You can call Inyo pools and they’ll give you recommendations. They’re very helpful.

Yeah that doesn’t sound good. I just picked up a Hayward Variable Speed 1.5hp with a built in timer and I’m in love with it. Well worth the money if you can find one that fits your pool. You can call Inyo pools and they’ll give you recommendations. They’re very helpful.
Thanks Coach_1, I'm going to look into the Hayward ProFlo VS 300 (Item: SP1580X15VSP) which is the only Hayward Variable Speed pump for AGPs. I haven't found much information about them online, but they fall in line with the $500 rebate and it looks like I'd save a lot on electricity by their metrics.

Edit: For people that found this by a search query, it looks like the ProFlo VS 300 is only for a sand filter and can't be converted for a cartridge filter.

Last edited:
For anyone who might've come across this by Googling and are mega-cheap bargain hunters like I am, I ended up purchasing the Speck E71-II VHV. The pump came to $589; however, my state's power company is offering a $500 rebate on the pump. $89 for a 1 HP variable speed pump seemed like too good of an offer to pass up on. If you live in a state that offers similar rebates, make sure you buy the pump from an approved seller and that your pump is on their list. When I went into the pool store they knew exactly what I was talking about and gave me all of the rebate information in the store.

Man that’s awesome! You will love the pump.

Unfortunately our power company is run by the city we live in and they don’t offer rebates except on appliances and even then it’s like only $250. Better than nothing I guess.

For anyone who might've come across this by Googling and are mega-cheap bargain hunters like I am, I ended up purchasing the Speck E71-II VHV. The pump came to $589; however, my state's power company is offering a $500 rebate on the pump. $89 for a 1 HP variable speed pump seemed like too good of an offer to pass up on. If you live in a state that offers similar rebates, make sure you buy the pump from an approved seller and that your pump is on their list. When I went into the pool store they knew exactly what I was talking about and gave me all of the rebate information in the store.

How'd you come across such juicy info? That the power company is handing out sweet rebates?

My pool's first pump started making a rough racket toward the end of one season. I either tried to peel it open to replace bearings, or the thing locked up tight the next season, I forget which. Anyhow I bought an Century (formally AO Smith they claim) pump from Amazon which may have been the same model that I had on the pool. Replaced it in 2014. This season THAT pump was locked up tight, didn't make a peep last season. Replaced it again, with the same model. 5 years for $150, not terrible. $30/season. I REPLACED the motor both times. The first time my cousin (an electrician) came out and wired it. I wasn't feeling spunky. He installed some flexible conduit, did a real nice job, made it fool proof for me to rewire the pump the second time. There are tutorials on how to replace it on YouTube. You want what's called like a 'Go Kit', includes all the seals to remove/replace the motor. Search for your pump/housing # go kit, you should find what you need...if you hadn't replaced it already.

Thanks for the info — I've already replaced the pump though. The old one was only a single speed pump and after doing some research, it sounds like there is some serious savings to be had by replacing with either a dual or variable speed pump.

I came about the rebate earlier this year when I was on Home Depot looking for a dehumidifier. On Home Depot's website there was a rebate noted on the listing which linked to the NHSaves.com website. A day or two after my pump started turning really loud I thought of it and went back to see if there were any savings on pool pumps. Saving $25 on a $300 dehumidifier wasn't that big of a deal, but something is better than nothing. I'm glad I went back to check up on pool pumps though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.