Loud conch shell noise intermittently coming from system

ceanjensen1

Jan 20, 2019
arizona
Hi. Has anyone see this before? This is my 3rd pool and first with a sand filter. When the system isn't running, late at night it make a horrible noise that sounds like someone is blowing into a conch shell. It a really loud sound of air escaping that is deep and reverberating and squeals at the end. There is air in the system when it is running coming from the screw seal at the pressure side of the pump that I just removed and I am repairing. As a result there are bubbles in the jets and more than a dime's size worth of air in the top of the pump window; perhaps 3/4 of the window shows a bubble. Does a leak on the pressure side cause some kind of pressure build up that finally releases with a horrible screech later after it's been not running for a while? Never seen this before and I've fixed several air leaks.

Welcome to TFP. Please read this before you post and put the details of your pool in your signature. Knowing your pool equiwill let us help you better.

What pump and filter do you have?

What is your filter pressure when the pump is running? What is the filter pressure immediately after the pump turns off? Does the filter pressure change after the noise and squeals end?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.