Losing Prime

sbhuta

Apr 24, 2018
Phoenix/AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pool pump is losing prime.

It hits 10psi and then back to 0. My pump basket and my skimmer basket is clean. I just added water, as we are in Phoenix, and it's getting hotter.

All help will be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
I would first confirm that your main pump remains fully primed during normal operations. If it changes, try pulling water from just the skimmer or just the drain to see if there is any difference in water flow. If the same symptom occurs you might want to check the filter next to see if it's dirty. The 10 psi isn't high at all, but perhaps the gauge is bad and not showing an accurate number.

The filter was put in a month back along with the gauge. The black pump is for the cleaning system and the white one is for the filter. The black pump seems to be priming and working fine.

So then we should be focusing on the pool's main (white) pump I believe. Check to see if there is any difference when pulling water only from teh drain or skimmer. Looks like you can also pull water form teh spa, so test water flow from that location as well to ensure the pump remains fully primed when pulling from each source. Now might also be a good time to ensure the pump's clear lid O-ring has a good amount of pool silicone on it.

In the pic, it appears you are only pulling minimal water from the spa which is typical, so that's fine for now. But the skimmer valve is closed so most water is being pulled from the drain. If you turn that valve for the skimmer 180 degrees around so that the handle is at skimmer. you'll get water from both the drain and skimmer. The flat part opposite of the handle means closed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It worked wow. Thank you. Should I keep it this way?
I would for now until you get the hang of your equipment and how it normally works. It's always possible the drain is either plugged or has some restriction, but at least you have good water flow now.

Reactions: sbhuta
The pool starts to prime and it’s barely hits 8-9psi but then goes back down to 0 and then again. I recently cleared the filters and I do see water drip from the pump time to time.

Attachments

• 7E37EB29-B796-4CD3-A791-7FEFEE0DB2CB.jpeg
    7E37EB29-B796-4CD3-A791-7FEFEE0DB2CB.jpeg
    700.6 KB · Views: 7
S,

If your pump is doing that over and over, then most likely the problem is your weir door is stuck up or the water in your pool is too low.

If you look in the skimmer basket, it should not empty out and then refill, again and again.

The pump should not be able to suck all the water out of your skimmer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.