looking to upgrade

Jun 7, 2015
Sarasota, FL
Hello,

We just bought a summer waves 17x52 pool and within the first 5 minutes I could tell the pump and skimmer would need to be upgraded. I have seen other posts and videos suggesting a 3/4 hp pump with 14" sand filter on the cheap. Thats all well and good except this pool is just temporary. We plan on getting something more permanent in the next year or so. Most likely an oval or rectangle pool. Also I plan on adding solar the end of the year.

Now that I have said all that, my question is, what size pump and filter would I need to accommodate these future upgrades? Or should I just get new pmp and filter when I get a more permanent pool?

TIA for any help and/or feedback!

17' x 52" deep? The eBay special would work although you will backwash more than you should, maybe every 1-2 weeks. I did have that pump on my 24' pool untill the pump seal went, then I used the filter till I found a bigger one. I had to backwash every weekend. The pump is 1/3 hp even though they say 3/4. It's cheap enough I would get it and worry about the pump later.

17' x 52" deep? The eBay special would work although you will backwash more than you should, maybe every 1-2 weeks. I did have that pump on my 24' pool untill the pump seal went, then I used the filter till I found a bigger one. I had to backwash every weekend. The pump is 1/3 hp even though they say 3/4. It's cheap enough I would get it and worry about the pump later.
Yes, my pool is 17' x 52" deep.

A real upgrade would be around a 1 hp two speed, low for circulation, high for vacuum. 1/2 hp for circulation is totally acceptable but really slow for the vac, but I have a robot that does the vac for me. My 1/2 hp, and was the same for the eBay pump, has not much room for pressure increases so the vac plugs fast as well. A bigger hp pump will have more room for pressure but cost too much to run all the time.

I would definitely look for a 16-19"+ sand filter, the bigger the better every time, except when you have to move it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.