Looking to replace a Hayward Microclear Stainless Steel II 72 DE filter with a Pentair Quad DE filter. Size question.

Oct 14, 2015
Dallas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
so my Hayward is looking to go the way of the do-do (been there probably since the pool was installed in 75).

Trying to figure out which size works. The Quad D.E. 60 or the Quad D.E. 80. Pools 30k gallons, with a variable speed on 24/7. Average flow off the meter's looks to be 30 gallons a minute (looking at it now I'll lower it to about 15 as that cycles over 40k a day. The Quad DE 100 I am not interested in buying.

Thank you.

Either one will do fine for you. Quad 60 has max flow of 120 gpm and 80 is 150 gpm. With your VS pump you are not going to be pushing close to 120 gpm.

P,

You do realize the the idea that you have to "turnover" your pool X times a day is a myth???

Chemicals keep your pool clear and sanitized.. Your filter is only there to capture the stuff that falls into the pool...

I would talk with @JoyfulNoise and see what he thinks about the Quad DE filters...

I have two rent house pools with DE filters and I can't wait for them to die so I can replace them with cartridge filters.. No more multiport valve, less back pressure and not screwing with DE...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have a QuadDE-100 on a 16,000 gallon pool and it's been nice to have a massively oversized filter. I never backwash, I only tear it down once per year to clean the DE out of it. Because I have a robot cleaner and I use hairnets in my skimmer, the DE filter doesn't get clogged up with large debris. It works mostly on the suspended solids in the water and so that is why it can go so long without needing to be backwashed. It has no multiport valve and so I don't get any additional head loss from that or the need to lube and change spider gaskets. So, from the standpoint of the TFP mantra, it's the least troublesome member of all my pool equipment. I've rebuilt valve actuators and SWG flow switches more often than I've had to mess with my filter.

Of all the DE filters out there in the world, the Quad DE filter by Pentair is probably the best design. It gives good flow rates and the quad cartridges are easily removed and handled by a single human being as opposed to the gird style DE filters where it takes the combined efforts of two NFL defensive lineman to lift the DE saturated grid assembly out of the basin. However, I have to agree with Jim, once the Quad dies I'll probably replace it with a massively oversized cartridge filter.

Bigger is ALWAYS better when it comes to filters.....and beer mugs....

hmm. Never considered a straight cartridge filter. I'll look into them.

So looking at the
Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 420 ft2
or the
Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 320 ft2

1575911178821.png

Considering the literal max flow of my pool is .. 30 gallons, and that's going to rocket down. Would the only difference between the 320 and the 420 be the frequency I break down the filter (which should be much easier than dealing with all the DE)?

Last edited:
Considering the literal max flow of my pool is .. 30 gallons, and that's going to rocket down. Would the only difference between the 320 and the 420 be the frequency I break down the filter (which should be much easier than dealing with all the DE)?

You will appreciate having a larger filter should you need to fight and algae bloom. Small cartridge filters can clog rapidly from algae and need frequent cleaning while trying to do the SLAM Process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.