Mikekelly

Jul 26, 2021
Las Vegas
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Currently have a 20,000 fiberglass pool. Had copper, which I’ve removed. Been using chlorine… live in Vegas, is the salt worth it? Will there be cost savings and or less maintenance? I have the pentair Intellicenter automation.
Also, how do I go about switching over if I decide?
Best brand?

Since you have the IntelliCenter automation it would be best to keep all Pentair so go with the IntelliChlor 40 (for 2x your pool volume) or you could go with the IC60 which may give a little longer life.

You need to post a picture of your return side plumbing to get help on where the IC could be placed.

As far as cost savings not really. Basically over the 5 -6 years average life it's a wash with the difference being one upfront cost instead of buying chlorine by the jug and that's for the cell portion of the purchase.
"Less maintenance" to a degree and that's you won't be busy chlorine wise every day once you learn the pools habits and get it dialed in. It's NOT a set and forget but gives you more time to enjoy the pool besides the water quality being a more smooth silky feel.

SWG is the way to go, mainly for the convenience of not having to buy liquid chlorine and add it every couple days. I just installed the circupool SJ 35 on our 19,500 gallon pool and so far so good. Just make sure your water doesn’t need to be changed before you do it

Reactions: mknauss
You already have a salt water pool as all pools are salt water pools.. :)

The level of salt in your pool is probably about 500 to 1500 ppm right now... you will raise the salt ppm to about 3000 to 3500 ppm when switching to a SWG.. The light niche is designed to handle salt... :)

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I actually had to get the salt test strips from leslies because I couldn’t find a Taylor kit in time, it’s very accurate and only $10

go ahead and order it online, those guess strips are not accurate...
Well I will say this… going off the pool math app for a new water fill, the app said to add 14 bags to get it to 3500 ppm. I added 12 and the next day installed the SWG. By calculating it in the app it should of been about 3000 ppm and the strip confirmed it , the unit was producing chlorine but the salt light wasn’t on. I added 2 more bags to bring it to the 3500 ppm recommended by the app and the strips confirmed it was about 3500 and the salt light was now lit and working fine.
So IMO they are accurate enough, the SJ says 3500+ so if it was 4000 ppm no big deal

You are correct, the salt strips are better in the beginning when they are fist opened.. the reason I say to go ahead and order the Taylor kit is because now that you opened the strips they get worse.. the best way to check salt ppm is the Taylor kit...

Congrats on the SJ, I have loved mine for 9 years now :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.