Looking to install new above ground pool

If you have the room bobct1 go big! No one ever said... I wish I had a smaller pool.

Casey... you must have posted that comment somewhere else... I remember reading it in another thread.

I am so close to clicking the "buy" button... but I am still suffering from, as someone else mentioned, analysis paralysis... way too much info and way too many options out there. I like the steel uprights of the Venture, but like the look of the Matrix better. The 27' Venture is still less than the 24' Matrix... substantially less than the 28' Matrix. This would be going in an area that stays a little wetter than normal... so the resin bottom rails look attractive... A couple of local stores and independent installers recommended against resin bottoms... they just weren't sure of how they would hold up over time.

Originally, I was leaning towards the Venture because it came in the 52" height... but responses in another thread convinced me that the 2" really won't make much of a difference. I'm going to measure up the area when I get home tonight... I have plenty of space... so the 27-28' would be fine... but not sure that the 28' Matrix is worth the addition money over the 27' Venture.

Bob, I'm replacing a 24' with a 24'. We're having the ground dug and going to have to tweak the edge of the deck (going from a "round" made from 16 straight panels to a truly round) so if we wanted to go bigger, we could. Would need to look at the heat pump and the water pump to check their capability. But 24' is a nice size. Great for a small family and handles visits as well as the occasional small crowd. Regular parties with more than 8 people and I might want a bigger pool. Everything gets to be bigger - the solar cover (I don't think too many people use them) ... the winter cover, the amount of water, chemicals, the liner ...

But then again, now is the time to decide before you regret it.

I went with the Venture over he Matrix because of price in the end. I don't regret it either. :cool:

I had a 24ft as my last pool and it held my 2 kids and a handful of neighbor kids and friends comfortably. If I could have went with a 27 or a 30 ft'er in this new yard of mine, I would have spent the extra money on the bigger pool but the property lines would not allow the upgrade. For awhile, I considered a 21ft pool because it's just me and my husband and I thought, no way... I'm going all the way and maxing out! The 24ft'er is plenty pool, even for several kids rough housing around into the teenage years.

My son and his friends who lived in the pool...

As you can see, they were pretty wild.

5 kids in the pool in this pic...

And we always had a dog in the pool too. :mrgreen:

- - - Updated - - -

And lets not forget my brother who was my CYA regulator! :mrgreen: He was the wildest one of them all.

I always had to top the pool off when he was done swimming in it!

Sorry I haven't replied, I've been floating :)

I'll take some photos tonight so you can see the gouges. The pool cover was installed with the wire all the way around and tightened down and we also used bungees and bottles to add some additional holding power. We sit on a 50 ft bluff overlooking a park/lake so we get heavy winds across the yard. it was lifting the cover and literally pulling the cover off. the bungees were sliding back/forth across the top rails and it actually gouged them. The salt water generator also hangs over the top rail because it cannot hang over the wall/liner under the rail because of the different framing on the matrix, that has also gouged the rim. Just be careful before ordering a nitelighter light or anything that hangs under the rim and over the wall, it won't fit. Ill get some photos for you.

Here's a link to the whole pool project so you can see from install to now.

https://suzyabbott.shutterfly.com/22 our old intex pool log is at https://suzyabbott.shutterfly.com/65

What would I change if I had to do it again?

1. I'd still do the matrix full resin. I like the venture walls better but tried to go with my head vs. my heart, I know it's a better made pool and because we have heavy winds, etc. I wanted to make sure I got the strongest pool I could and i also wanted the 54" deep instead of the 52.
2. Steel walls? Growing up my parents had an AGP that was all steel, it lasted 25 years. If I didn't know the affects salt has on steel pools i would have gone with steel top rims instead. Not even a question. Our intex lasted 2 years and the metal was rusted through in a couple spots, salt is tough on pools but easy on the owners!
3. is 24' big enough. Absolutely. I actually wouldn't want to go any bigger. It's just within reach to deal with vacuuming/skimming the middle, if it was any bigger it would be an issue. I actually have spa steps all the way around the pool so i can step up and access things easier. I couldnt imagine having to deal with a larger solar cover either, I cut ours into 3 strips so I can take it off/put it on myself, if it was any bigger it would be cussable. (I hate solar reels, they're ugly and a pain in the butt).
4. I'd do everything else the same, LOVE LOVE LOVE the caribbean liner, 1 1/2 HP pump works great on this size pool, want a lazy river? put it on high! I like to be able to manage everything separately. we use an intex small filter for the solar panels that I run as needed. Filter is by itself that runs about 8 hrs/day and the saltron retro salt generator runs about 5 hours per day.
5. Steps? we have the Innovaplas magestic steps with colored light kit. LOVE IT! Went in easily and the canister that you fill with rocks holds them down nicely. the light kit makes the pool really look great at night.
6. Can't recommend fiberglass step kits for this enough. they work great with the cake steps and are a sold surface that won't rot, rust etc. I picked up over the door wall hangers to hang on the step railings to hold the skimmer, broom, etc.
7. I'd recommend investing in a rover jr. pool vacuum, throw it in and poof the pools clean and you don't have to worry about clogging up the filter. Don't bother with the bug ones that hook to the filter, with a rover and the regular old pool vacuum to the filter you've got all you need.

Salt water? can't recommend it enough. I remember growing up watching my dad fight with trying to get the water clear, all kinds of chemicals, backwashing the filter, etc. Between the salt generator and cartridge filter, it really is no maintenance except for throwing the vacuum robot in on friday nights. LOVE IT!

If there's anything else I can answer let me know :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.