Looking to get SWG installed, have many questions

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi folks. I learned everything I know about pool maintenance from this site, so I should have come to you earlier.

I guess my first question is: are there tutorial articles about switching over to SWG? This site has a lot of great articles/posts, but I couldn't find a primer on switching over to SWG, and that would be really helpful. It'd probably answer a bunch of questions I have so people don't have to repeat what has already been said. I'm making my way through the other posts to gather as much information as I can.

To give some background, my main motivation right now is that I have a booster pump for our Polaris pool cleaner, and the pump has lived its best life. I've gotten quotes to replace it, and pump and installation will run me about $800 which I am fine with. (I don't want to do it myself.) But while I'm having someone out to replace the booster pump, I'm exploring the possibility of getting a SWG installed.

I made a video and took pictures for the pool guy (who didn't want to come out to do a quote), so I'll share that here:

Pool Equipment

The narration on the video is targeted at the pool equipment vendor.

I got quotes from two vendors. The first guy said that I should have a master controller installed to make sure that neither the booster pump nor the SWG runs when the main pump is not running. When he gave me a full quote, it looked like this:

$5856 Controller, SWG, booster pump, screen logic bundle
$2486 controller
$850 controller & SWG installation
$165 materials
$220 breaker
$70 breaker light
$585 booster pump
$225 booster pump installation
$45 materials
$100 intelliflo comm cable
$210 pool salt
$740 screen logic bundle
$160 screen logic install

After inquiring what the logic bundle (and install) was, he said that was a component that allows you to control the equipment remotely (like on your phone), and that it was optional and could be removed. So without that, it's $4956.

The largest component there was the master controller, but it's hard to separate out because part of that equipment relates to the SWG. I asked whether we strictly had to have the master controller, and he gave me a quote without it, and it looked like this:

$2918 Booster pump & SWG, no controller
$545 booster pump
$225 booster pump installation
$45 materials
$1315 salt system
$329 salt system installation
$45 materials
$140 control mounting
$210 pool salt
$64 chem resistant check valve

I got a quote from a second vendor, and he said that while having a master controller was ideal, it wasn't strictly necessary. He said that the SWG had controls so that it wouldn't operate if no water was flowing, and I said that I basically operated the booster pump manually, so there was no (or very little) risk if running it without the main pump putting water through it. Given that, he gave me a quote with no master controller, and it looks like this:

$3863.50 Salt Cell, power center for SWG, booster pump & install, salt
$675.50 salt cell
$1675.50 power center for SWG
$75 plumbing
$35 electrical
$850 Polaris booster pump & installation
$350 installation of SWG
$202.50 salt

Okay. So a bunch of questions for you all.

1) What are your thoughts about operating my setup without a master controller. Reasonable? Inadvisable? Insane?

2) What are the components of the SWG? Before I started getting quotes, I thought it was just one unit (which needed to be plugged in), and was basically self-contained. Is that not the case? Does there need to be a power system specifically for the SWG which is separate from the SWG itself? I was particularly confused by the first quote I got (the $5856 one above) where the master controller seemed to be closely tied to the SWG. (There was no separate line item for the SWG at all!) I find this all a bit confusing.

3) Another factor in all this is that while the main pump seems to be running fine, its display is on the fritz and sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I've been living with this for a couple years, and it's been doable given that I have the schedule set the way that I want it. I can also turn it off as needed. But if I need to do something more complicated (e.g., run the pump 24/7 and not have the scheduled on/off automatically kick in), and it's one of the times when the screen is not working, then that is something I won't be able to do. The possibility exists of getting just the screen replaced, but that would likely be so expensive that it's not worth it, especially given that I don't know what the remaining lifetime of the pump is. (I inherited it in 2016 and don't know how old it was before that.)

4) Back to what I said at the top of this post -- *is* there a tutorial/primer about running a SWG? I don't know the basics, so such a thing would be helpful. I see various things on the Internet, but nothing as complete as I hope (i.e., explaining the equipment, and the day-to-day operation/maintenance), and something endorsed by the people on this site (whom I trust) would be great.

I do have a bunch more questions and daily operation, but that can wait till later. I think? Unless you tell me that I need to do X, Y & Z *before* getting the equipment installed otherwise I will be in a bad state.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Mason

1) What are your thoughts about operating my setup without a master controller. Reasonable? Inadvisable? Insane?
There are many of us that run without automation. Do NOT rely on a flow switch for your primary protection for the SWCG. There are many solutions including timers, current sensing relays etc.

2) What are the components of the SWG? Before I started getting quotes, I thought it was just one unit (which needed to be plugged in), and was basically self-contained. Is that not the case? Does there need to be a power system specifically for the SWG which is separate from the SWG itself? I was particularly confused by the first quote I got (the $5856 one above) where the master controller seemed to be closely tied to the SWG. (There was no separate line item for the SWG at all!) I find this all a bit confusing.
Controller and cell are typical. Example:
1684623545405.png
3) Another factor in all this is that while the main pump seems to be running fine, its display is on the fritz and sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I've been living with this for a couple years, and it's been doable given that I have the schedule set the way that I want it. I can also turn it off as needed. But if I need to do something more complicated (e.g., run the pump 24/7 and not have the scheduled on/off automatically kick in), and it's one of the times when the screen is not working, then that is something I won't be able to do. The possibility exists of getting just the screen replaced, but that would likely be so expensive that it's not worth it, especially given that I don't know what the remaining lifetime of the pump is. (I inherited it in 2016 and don't know how old it was before that.)
If this is the case, a timer would not be a great solution. You should fix the pump, or look into a current sensing relay setup to make sure SWCG doesn't run if the pump is not running.
4) Back to what I said at the top of this post -- *is* there a tutorial/primer about running a SWG? I don't know the basics, so such a thing would be helpful. I see various things on the Internet, but nothing as complete as I hope (i.e., explaining the equipment, and the day-to-day operation/maintenance), and something endorsed by the people on this site (whom I trust) would be great.
I don't know a conversion guide...there are many good resources here on TFP:

If you have a particular brand for the SWCG, there are entries in the WIKI (Further Reading) for the main popular SWCGs.

For example:

There are many of us that run without automation. Do NOT rely on a flow switch for your primary protection for the SWCG. There are many solutions including timers, current sensing relays etc.

View attachment 494113

If this is the case, a timer would not be a great solution. You should fix the pump, or look into a current sensing relay setup to make sure SWCG doesn't run if the pump is not running.

If you have a particular brand for the SWCG, there are entries in the WIKI (Further Reading) for the main popular SWCGs.

For example:
Thank you, PoolStored. I have a few follow up questions already, but I'm going to go read the material you linked to and try to get a better understanding of everything before I come back. Thank you for your help.

Mason

Reactions: PoolStored
The costs seem a bit out of whack especially given they are quoting end of life easytouch but have you considered abandoning the booster and getting a corded pool robot like the s200 which I beleive from marina pools is about the same cost as the booster you are looking at.

As an alternative , will any of them install equipment you aquire? They appear to be quoting easytouch which is end of life. You could go with an intelllicenter bundle including the salt cell and integrated transformer for @2700 from polytec
Using the first quote it would look like :
$2799 controller swg bundle polytec
$165 materials
$98 breaker (amazonSiemens QF220A QF220 Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter, 20 Amp, 2 Pole, 120 Volt, 10,000 AIC, Color https://a.co/d/gYQkonn
$7.80 breaker light (home depot)
$100 intelliflo comm cable (~30 ON EBAY ~60 ON AMAZON)
$210 pool salt
$0 screen logic bundle (not needed with intellicenter
$0 screen logic install (not needed with intellicenter)
$~800 pool robot

Reactions: PoolStored
The costs seem a bit out of whack especially given they are quoting end of life easytouch but have you considered abandoning the booster and getting a corded pool robot like the s200 which I beleive from marina pools is about the same cost as the booster you are looking at.

As an alternative , will any of them install equipment you aquire? They appear to be quoting easytouch which is end of life. You could go with an intelllicenter bundle including the salt cell and integrated transformer for @2700 from polytec
Using the first quote it would look like :
$2799 controller swg bundle polytec
$165 materials
$98 breaker (amazonSiemens QF220A QF220 Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter, 20 Amp, 2 Pole, 120 Volt, 10,000 AIC, Color https://a.co/d/gYQkonn
$7.80 breaker light (home depot)
$100 intelliflo comm cable (~30 ON EBAY ~60 ON AMAZON)
$210 pool salt
$0 screen logic bundle (not needed with intellicenter
$0 screen logic install (not needed with intellicenter)
$~800 pool robot
Thank you, you have given me a lot of food for thought.
The most basic one is that you're right that I don't need to buy a booster pump at all. Yes, I have a Polaris pool cleaner which is useless without the booster pump, but it's a sunk cost. If I buy a new booster pump, then it's only as useful until the cleaner dies. And the cleaner is only as good until the booster pump dies. But if I buy a corded pool cleaner, it's independent of everything else. I guess the deal is that these did not exist 15 years ago? If you were starting from nothing, it's a no-brainer to just buy a corded (or cordless!) pool cleaning robot and dispense w/ the pump-driven one, right?

I didn't realize that the EasyTouch was end of life. I did research and couldn't confirm that, but regardless, I now realize that it's an older model. I need to think about this more.

Mason

View attachment 494113

For example:
Thanks again PoolStored. I've been doing a lot of reading and learning, and my understanding is better now.
I'm going to start with one question, and it's something you said at the top of your post. You said:

"There are many of us that run without automation. Do NOT rely on a flow switch for your primary protection for the SWCG. There are many solutions including timers, current sensing relays etc."

What are those alternatives? When you say "timer", I'm thinking that the SWG generator has its own scheduler? But the purpose of the controller (automation?) is definitive coordination between the SWG and the main pump, right? Relying on timers/schedulers is the least safe method of protection, right?
I guess when you say don't rely on the flow switch as your *primary* means of protection, I guess you mean: "Don't just run your SWG all the time and rely on the flow sensor to stop it from running when the main pump is not running." Right?
Am I correct in thinking that a standalone SWG has its own timer/scheduler? I'd think it has to.

What is a current sensing relay?
It seems like the master controller is the most sensible way to go...except for the expense. Gosh, it's more expensive than I think it should be.

Mason

Don't just run your SWG all the time and rely on the flow sensor to stop it from running when the main pump is not running." Right?
Correct. The simplest fix is to run the pool 24/7. Then the SWG never has to shut off.

This can get spendy with single speed pumps so then a timer is needed to ensure the SWG never comes on when the pump is off.
When you say "timer", I'm thinking that the SWG generator has its own scheduler?
They do not and turn on as soon as power is supplied. So you need to devise a way to schedule it. Be it a timer, smart plug, or automation.
It seems like the master controller is the most sensible way to go...except for the expense
An old school mechanical timer is about $100.

Automation is for the people with complicated systems with built in spas and water features that need to be flushed daily. Going out there every day, or twice a day would get old quick.

Or. For the folks who like tech type toys.

"There are many of us that run without automation. Do NOT rely on a flow switch for your primary protection for the SWCG. There are many solutions including timers, current sensing relays etc."

What are those alternatives?
I hope a bunch will chime in as there are many creative solutions our members have employed.
Timers (a clock that you can set a start and a stop time...then you wire your SWCG and pool pump to the timer.

When you say "timer", I'm thinking that the SWG generator has its own scheduler?
Most SWCG do not have a scheduler. They are on when they are on and you can choose a % output to vary the output.
But the purpose of the controller (automation?) is definitive coordination between the SWG and the main pump, right?
Relying on timers/schedulers is the least safe method of protection, right?
It is very safe and probably the most used, non-automation solution. 100s of thousands of pools have timers.
I guess when you say don't rely on the flow switch as your *primary* means of protection, I guess you mean: "Don't just run your SWG all the time and rely on the flow sensor to stop it from running when the main pump is not running." Right?
No, it means that you should have something that knows the pump has power/is running to give power to the SWCG. If that fails, you still have the flow switch as a secondary failsafe.
Am I correct in thinking that a standalone SWG has its own timer/scheduler? I'd think it has to.
No.
What is a current sensing relay?
CSR...See this thread...https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/picture-thread-swcg-add-plumbing-cleanup-pump-power-interconnect-might-help-someone.249664/
It seems like the master controller is the most sensible way to go...except for the expense. Gosh, it's more expensive than I think it should be.
Don't overthink it. A simple timer works best if you don't want/ need automation.

You have a VSP. I'd get a timer, or CSR, leave it on all the time, run 24/7 at low speed. SWCG will make chlorine all day and your FC will be nice and stable.

Others will chime in with other options...lots of great ideas here to save money.

Taking it one step further (and simpler) given your single body system you could go with this path , continuing to run the pump 24/7
~800 pool robot (no install needed)
~100 gfci breaker for current pump (because it should be)
~1500 ic40 and power center Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 Complete Salt Chlorinator System
(If you can cut pvc you can diy)
When your current vs pump dies, Upgrade to intelliflo 3 with relay. This would give you the safety of automation for the salt cell with wifi control of everything including your light (swag on one relay, light on the other )
~1800 (plus install or diy)

Reactions: Newdude
Hi folks. Thanks for the great advice. I've decided to forgo the booster pump and to simply buy a self-powered robot cleaner. I do have an existing cleaner which requires the booster pump, but that's a sunk cost, and by going the self-powered route, I'm removing any future interdependence. And I don't need anyone to come out.
So that means my immediate concern (getting the pool cleaner going again) is removed. I still plan on switching to SWG, but I'm giving myself more time to read and learn. I understand a lot better. Based on what I'm reading, even easier than worrying about timers and such is simply run the pump at low speed 24/7. Then you don't have to worry about timers. Easy. I still want to have safety mechanisms in place in case of power outage or pump failure. But overall, I'm feeling more comfortable with understanding everything.
Thanks for your help, everyone.

Reactions: Ahultin

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
even easier than worrying about timers and such is simply run the pump at low speed 24/7. Then you don't have to worry about timers
My head pool tech was growing frustrated trying to teach me how to operate my original pool. He was very patient but I knew zero and he had to repeat the spiel about pump runtimes and only running the SWG inside that window, over and over.

Finally out of frustration he belted out 'or just run the (redacted) thing on low speed 24/7 for $20 a month and rarely have to adjust anything.

*record scratch*

WAIT. I like easy. In fact, I LOVE easy. And I'm lazy to boot. I wanna do easy !!!!

Over time I learned many things that were positives about full time operation, for very little cost with a VSP.

• Haha
Reactions: Ahultin
I hope a bunch will chime in as there are many creative solutions our members have employed.
Timers (a clock that you can set a start and a stop time...then you wire your SWCG and pool pump to the timer.

Most SWCG do not have a scheduler. They are on when they are on and you can choose a % output to vary the output.

It is very safe and probably the most used, non-automation solution. 100s of thousands of pools have timers.

No, it means that you should have something that knows the pump has power/is running to give power to the SWCG. If that fails, you still have the flow switch as a secondary failsafe.

No.

CSR...See this thread...https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/picture-thread-swcg-add-plumbing-cleanup-pump-power-interconnect-might-help-someone.249664/

Don't overthink it. A simple timer works best if you don't want/ need automation.

You have a VSP. I'd get a timer, or CSR, leave it on all the time, run 24/7 at low speed. SWCG will make chlorine all day and your FC will be nice and stable.

Others will chime in with other options...lots of great ideas here to save money.

Hey, I'm in this reply.

I have constant power going from my GFCI breaker to a mechanical timer. The Line side of the timer powers the pump (so that it is always powered on while the pool is open and the GFCI breaker is activated.) The pump is programmed to run 24/7 at low speed, with a 15 minute period at medium speed just to burp the system of any air bubbles.

My SWG is fed from the load side of the mechanical timer. The timer isn't set to turn off, but I can use it as a physical switch to turn off the SWG if I want, like when I stop my pump to clean out the strainer basket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.