Western PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I'm looking to add some type of remote automation to my current setup.
We built out pool last year and didn't think automation was worth the $2k-$3k mentioned during contract build. However, we have only an on/off switch for out single speed pump.
Out setup is: 10K gal, IG vinyl, 1HP Pentair SuperFlo pump, Hayward 210t sand filter, AquaRite 900 T925 SWG, Raypak 156ng heater, Tiger Shark QC, Auto Cover

Ideally we'd love a full automation retro-fit that could work with our pump, swg and heat, but wouldn't be opposed to pump and heat (Assuming SWG settings won't need adjusted much outside of tweaking when testing and after pool parties to increase). I'd like to keep the solution price below $750 if possible depending on the features.
I've been reading through the forums and other sites and haven't found a solution that seems to fit our needs.
The two things that i have found are the Pentair IntelliConnect: IntelliConnect® Pool Control System - TradeGrade or just a very plain and simple WiFi pool timer: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09P5YFD7...olid=1D1XDLSGPRAE2&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

at the very least, i need some type of timer for the pump so i don't have to manually turn on/off each day (i've been leaving it run 24hrs since they opened our pool last week).

If the only viable solution would be to have a WiFi timer for the pump, would it be possible to control the temp outside of setting a desired temp and the heater will run when the pump is on if it's below that temp?

Thanks for helping a new pool owner

-Philip

I’m not sure how nerdy you are but several folks that are into Home Assistant have developed systems and solutions. I’m deep into the Home Assistant world for home automation and I’d love to have the time to take a stab at my own controllers. Someday I’ll do it.

I find it offensive how horrible and unintuitive pool controllers (at least mine) are. It’s like they developed something in the 1990s because they were forced to, and they haven’t updated them since.

i need some type of timer for the pump so i don't have to manually turn on/off each day
Given that you have a pentair pump, hayward salt and raypak heater I don't think your going to have a simple path to automation so a wifi time is likely your best solution. Make sure you look for one that disconnects both hots if you go that way.
Do you not have at least a simple timer now? How is the swg hooked up so it's not running when the pump is off?

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

A Pentair IntelliConnect will be able to control your single speed pump and SWG on one of its two relays. It can also control your gas heater through the fireman’s switch if you install the optional water temperature sensor.

I’m not sure how nerdy you are but several folks that are into Home Assistant have developed systems and solutions. I’m deep into the Home Assistant world for home automation and I’d love to have the time to take a stab at my own controllers. Someday I’ll do it.

I find it offensive how horrible and unintuitive pool controllers (at least mine) are. It’s like they developed something in the 1990s because they were forced to, and they haven’t updated them since.
I'm pretty nerdy w/ things like that (I'm a software engineer by day), but my wife would kill me if it's something convoluted and not a simple solution for her to work as well!

Welcome to TFP.

A Pentair IntelliConnect will be able to control your single speed pump and SWG on one of its two relays. It can also control your gas heater through the fireman’s switch if you install the optional water temperature sensor.

Thanks for the info, i was hoping there was something out of the box that could work for my situation.
Do you have a link for the optional water temp sensor?
Also, do you know what the pricing on these are? I've been looking around the web and see them priced from $400-$700 so not sure what I should be expecting. Would you suggest purchaing from a pool supply store, or are there reliable online stores that will support the product if it fails?

Given that you have a pentair pump, hayward salt and raypak heater I don't think your going to have a simple path to automation so a wifi time is likely your best solution. Make sure you look for one that disconnects both hits if you go that way.
Do you not have at least a simple timer now? How is the swg hooked up so it's not running when the pump is off?
I was wondering if the mix of brands would cause a problem. I think our PB chose the mix since we wanted something simple, and didn't really mention future plans for automation when we worked up the contract after having sticker shock w/ the price of automation at the time (we built the contract early 2021 during what my wife and i liked to call "covid pricing", we built our new house during this time too (summer of 2020) and pricing were sky rocketing during the builds).

As for the timer to disconnect both hits, is turning power off to the SWG necessary? Out pool builder noted that when there is no flow, the SWG will not generate and that it's fine to leave on?

Thanks for the info, i was hoping there was something out of the box that could work for my situation.
Do you have a link for the optional water temp sensor?

It is a standard 10K temperature sensor - Pentair temp sensors is 520272

Also, do you know what the pricing on these are? I've been looking around the web and see them priced from $400-$700 so not sure what I should be expecting. Would you suggest purchaing from a pool supply store, or are there reliable online stores that will support the product if it fails?

Don't expect any support from online purchasing. Expect little support from a local Pool Supply store.

Last edited:
As for the timer to disconnect both hits, is turning power off to the SWG necessary? Out pool builder noted that when there is no flow, the SWG will not generate and that it's fine to leave on?
The issue is the flow switch is a Secondary Safety Device. The SWCG should be completely powered off when the pump is not running. There is a risk of explosion when the pump is not running. Does not happen often, but does happen.

I was wondering if the mix of brands would cause a problem.

It is not optimum. If you had a Pentair VS pump you would be able to adjust speeds with the automation and if you had a Pentair SWG you would be able to adjust the generating percentage.

As for the timer to disconnect both hits, is turning power off to the SWG necessary?

Connecting the SWG to the same relay as the pump accomplishes that.

Out pool builder noted that when there is no flow, the SWG will not generate and that it's fine to leave on?

Your Pool Builder does not read the equipment installation manuals.

The flow switch is a secondary safety mechanism. There should be a primary means for the cell not to be powered when the pump is off and there is no water flow. This can be with pool automation equipment or a mechanical timer.

Pentair Manuals say:

The IntelliChlor Salt Chlorinator Power Centers must be interconnected with the pool pump motor power source. This ensures the IntelliChlor Salt Chlorinator and pool pump will switch on and off together.

and

WARNING:CHLORINE GAS BUILDUP CAN OCCUR WITH IMPROPER WIRING: To reduce the risk of personal injury the IntelliChlor® Salt Chlorine Generator (SCG) Power Center must be installed on and wired to the load side of the time clock, electronically controlled switch, or relay load side, so that it will receive power only when the pool pump is on. Otherwise, dangerous chlorine gas buildup can occur. The IECG should never be energized when the pool pump is OFF and water is not flowing through the unit.

Intellichlor Cell Explosions do Happen​

Here is one report - Explosion near the SWG

And another - Help,, my pipe exploded !!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is a standard 10K temperature sensor - Pentair temp sensors is 520272

Don't expect any support from online purchasing. Expect little support from a local Pool Supply store.
If i'm reading the instruction manual correctly and other info from the forums, i would connect the pump to relay1, and then the SWG to relay2 since it's a different brand of SWG where this wouldn't be able to control it?
and then w/ the temp sensor, connect to the fireman's switch in the heater?
Seems fairly simple and what i would need for my particular use-case

Connect pump and SWG to relay1 so they are powered on and off on the same schedule.

I was wondering if the mix of brands would cause a problem. I think our PB chose the mix since we wanted something simple, and didn't really mention future plans for automation when we worked up the contract after having sticker shock w/ the price of automation at the time (we built the contract early 2021 during what my wife and i liked to call "covid pricing", we built our new house during this time too (summer of 2020) and pricing were sky rocketing during the builds).

If you want to go simple and inexpensive you could go with this , hooking it up as 1 single 240v load (both hots switched) and pigtail the swg to the same load so it is only on when the pump is on.
DEWENWILS Pool Pump Timer, Outdoor Smart Wi-Fi Box, Heavy Duty 40A 120-277 VAC 2HP Wireless Controller Timer for Pool, Water Heater, Compatible with Smart Phone, Alexa, Google Assistant, UL Listed https://a.co/d/6ZYNOaj

Looking at the wiring diagram, to wire the relays there are 4 terminals, line/load 1 and line/load2
how does wiring work for this?
Are we discussing wiring for 120V or 240V?

Line takes the hot wires from the circuit breaker.

Load is where you connect the device(s).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.