Looking for recommendations for pool heater

joanncook

Apr 27, 2023
Maine
I have a Radiant 24" round 52" deep, semi-inground. I live in coastal Maine, and looking to extend the season, say May-October. I am looking for recommendations for heat pump vs. propane, and exactly how many BTUs I need [I am getting many mixed messages about this] Thanks smooch in advance!

I have a Radiant 24" round 52" deep, semi-inground. I live in coastal Maine, and looking to extend the season, say May-October. I am looking for recommendations for heat pump vs. propane, and exactly how many BTUs I need [I am getting many mixed messages about this] Thanks smooch in advance!
You pool, 13,000 gallons +/-. How fast do you want to heat? Do you have a gas source?
Do you have the electrical power available at the equipment pad, usually at least a 40A circuit just for the heat pump?
How warm is the ambient air in your location (makes a huge difference if a heat pump is installed)?
Fast, constant heat is the realm of a gas heater.
Slow, variable heat (based on atmospheric conditions) are heat pump's forte but they are very efficient.

Thank you 1poolman1! I am attaching a screen shot which shows the range of temperatures in Maine, May-October. I do have access to propane, with a large tank that runs to my gas stove, fireplace and dryer. The tricky part to the gas heater is that it has to be x number of feet from a window, etc. and unfortunately where the pool pump is very close to windows. I can have power wired to the equipment pad. I would love to go for the fast, constant heat. I am not sure the heat pump will get me the shoulder seasons. Any guidance much appreciated!Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 7.22.24 PM.png

Thank you 1poolman1! I am attaching a screen shot which shows the range of temperatures in Maine, May-October. I do have access to propane, with a large tank that runs to my gas stove, fireplace and dryer. The tricky part to the gas heater is that it has to be x number of feet from a window, etc. and unfortunately where the pool pump is very close to windows. I can have power wired to the equipment pad. I would love to go for the fast, constant heat. I am not sure the heat pump will get me the shoulder seasons. Any guidance much appreciated!View attachment 573940
Not a lot of heat pumps in my area, but what I've heard from vendors is that they aren't the most effective as far North as you. Fast, constant is gas.

Is your pool covered when not in use?

A pool cover is mandatory for a heat pump to have any chance of working for you.

Your pool is about 14,000 gallons?

A 400K BTU gas heater will heat a 14,000 gallon pool about 2.75 degrees per hour and use 4 gallons of propane per hour.