Looking for help with painting above ground pool, what paint? Advice on rust?

landscaper

Apr 23, 2014
Maryland
This winter when we opened our 27' above ground pool, we had some rust. Now that swimming is done, I would like to fix best I can. I plan to drain the water just below the skimmer and water inlet to paint.

What type of paint or product do you recommend?

Should I attempt to pull the liner back and look between the liner and the wall?

Is it safe to remove a top rail or two on the pool with the water only drained to slightly below the skimmer? Don't want the thing to blow out and flood!

thanks for any help!! If you have other suggestions please let me know! I know this thing won't last too much longer but would like to keep it best I can.

20091511_23_11IMG_8771.JPG20091511_23_26IMG_8772.JPG20091511_24_32IMG_8773.JPG

Last edited:
I would NOT take the liner down by the skimmer/return. So far NO ONE has been able to reuse a liner when it is removed from that area. Many have tired :(

If you can see that rust there is more on the other side of the wall. I was VERY surprised when I saw how much rust there was. I did not have ANY rust on the outside. It was all inside between the liner and the wall. My guess it is from the condensation. We know we are on borrowed time with this wall.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Thanks for the reply! Just curious, do liners shift and then the holes don't line back up? If that's the case, what do you recommend? Should I try to just touch up on the outside? Maybe drain to below the skimmer/inlet over winter in case that is where the water is coming from? I was planning on redoing the inlet and skimmer seals, do you think even that is risky?

You got it. The holes do not line up AND if they do they stretch and it just does not work out. I would not tough anything! Let is ride.

I was having a new liner in when I found my inside rust. I spent a lot of time using a steel brush and such to get it off. I then spent time and money on "rust inhibiter".....................Now I am seeing pin holes in the wall on the outside :( We know we are on borrowed time with it and looking into redoing the whole thing when it needs it.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.