Looking for advice of installing a main floor drain in a AGP.

David Link

Sep 25, 2018
Minnesota
I have to install a new liner in a 18' pool this spring, and was wondering about installing a main floor drain. Does this make sense, and if so what do you recommend for the drain itself, and plumbing it under the pool, and would the drain line need to be angle slightly? Also since I live in cold Minnesota I have a concern on the drain and plumbing material that would be used. Does anyone have any information on doing this? Also does anyone have recommendations on purchasing a pool liner for a 18x54 Morada round pool, and thickness of the liner. Do I use a over lap or Unibead Style liner?

thanks .....

Last edited:

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Is a floor drain not needed?
They are not. For draining water from a pool, get a sump pump. Less than $100 from big box stores or Amazon. With an Above Ground Pool, most can use a siphon to drain water. All you need is a hose.

David Link

Sep 25, 2018
Minnesota
They are not. For draining water from a pool, get a sump pump. Less than $100 from big box stores or Amazon. With an Above Ground Pool, most can use a siphon to drain water. All you need is a hose.
Ok we do have a 1hp pump that we have used over the years to lower the water at the end of the year.

Reactions: mknauss

Oly

Gold Supporter
Jun 28, 2017
Fresno, CA
Pool Size
I installed a main drain on my first AG pool. This was over 20 years ago and my goal was to assist in cleaning the pool without having to manually vaccume every other day.. It worked ok but it sure felt strange cutting a hole in the bottom of a new liner during the install. Times have changed and there are bots for AGPs now. I agree using a sump pump is the best way to drain a pool.

David Link

Sep 25, 2018
Minnesota
I installed a main drain on my first AG pool. This was over 20 years ago and my goal was to assist in cleaning the pool without having to manually vaccume every other day.. It worked ok but it sure felt strange cutting a hole in the bottom of a new liner during the install. Times have changed and there are bots for AGPs now. I agree using a sump pump is the best way to drain a pool.
We do have a DOLPHIN E10 Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner

David Link

Sep 25, 2018
Minnesota
anyone have recommendations on purchasing a pool liner for a 18x54 Morada round pool, and thickness of the liner. Do I use a over lap or Unibead Style liner?

kellyfair

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 29, 2016
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I went with unibead, and here is my new precious now. Portofino, from Pool Factory. 18’ by 54”

DBC66F78-ABB1-4FC0-9D40-4FA6AA128C6D.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Newdude

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
NY
I am one of the few that liked my main drains in my IGP. On an AG pool though they will be toe-stubbers.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.