Looking for advice of installing a main floor drain in a AGP.

David Link

Sep 25, 2018
Minnesota
I have to install a new liner in a 18' pool this spring, and was wondering about installing a main floor drain. Does this make sense, and if so what do you recommend for the drain itself, and plumbing it under the pool, and would the drain line need to be angle slightly? Also since I live in cold Minnesota I have a concern on the drain and plumbing material that would be used. Does anyone have any information on doing this? Also does anyone have recommendations on purchasing a pool liner for a 18x54 Morada round pool, and thickness of the liner. Do I use a over lap or Unibead Style liner?

thanks .....

Last edited:
Is a floor drain not needed?
They are not. For draining water from a pool, get a sump pump. Less than $100 from big box stores or Amazon. With an Above Ground Pool, most can use a siphon to drain water. All you need is a hose.

I installed a main drain on my first AG pool. This was over 20 years ago and my goal was to assist in cleaning the pool without having to manually vaccume every other day.. It worked ok but it sure felt strange cutting a hole in the bottom of a new liner during the install. Times have changed and there are bots for AGPs now. I agree using a sump pump is the best way to drain a pool.

I installed a main drain on my first AG pool. This was over 20 years ago and my goal was to assist in cleaning the pool without having to manually vaccume every other day.. It worked ok but it sure felt strange cutting a hole in the bottom of a new liner during the install. Times have changed and there are bots for AGPs now. I agree using a sump pump is the best way to drain a pool.
We do have a DOLPHIN E10 Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner

I went with unibead, and here is my new precious now. Portofino, from Pool Factory. 18’ by 54”

DBC66F78-ABB1-4FC0-9D40-4FA6AA128C6D.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am one of the few that liked my main drains in my IGP. On an AG pool though they will be toe-stubbers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.