Looking at Pentair IC15 for above ground pool 10k gallons

tatertot09

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
Lenoir City TN
Hey all!

I am looking to a cheap easy to install SWCG for my above ground pool. I am looking for simple and straight forward and cost effective. Seems the Haywards have bad reviews and my previous house with inground pool had the Pentair IC for inground. My pool is 10K gallons this is rated for 15k. Anybody have any feedback on this unit in terms of reviews?

I see other options available but require flow switches and would want to install horizontal coming off the cartridge filter. I did like the Hayward due to the timer for pump and salt cell but worried about their recent reviews...

Thanks!

I’m pretty sure the entire ICXX line is identical except for the output rating. I swear by my IC60. I ran out and replaced it when it reached end of life.

You didn’t mention getting the power center that controls the actual unit so I just wanted to make sure you knew about that also. Amazon has them at the moment for $369

Also the general rule is to get a unit that can handle 2X the pool volume. The units are rated for 100% run time and going twice as large allows you to get the same output with half of the run time. The IC20 would be better suited for your pool.

I’m pretty sure the entire ICXX line is identical except for the output rating. I swear by my IC60. I ran out and replaced it when it reached end of life.

You didn’t mention getting the power center that controls the actual unit so I just wanted to make sure you knew about that also. Amazon has them at the moment for $369

Also the general rule is to get a unit that can handle 2X the pool volume. The units are rated for 100% run time and going twice as large allows you to get the same output with half of the run time. The IC20 would be better suited for your pool.

The unit I was looking at on amazon came with a power control for it. If I go Pentair it seems like the IC15 is the only one for above ground pools, if I go to the IC20 I would have to buy the power center separate and the cell separate which then puts the cost closer to 900 dollars over 499.

Pentair does not have an IntelliChlor IC15 cell. They have IC20, IC40, and IC60 cells.

Pentair has a different product - the iChlor 15 and iChlor 30.

If you put a 15K cell on a 10K pool you will need to run your pump and SWG close to 24/7.

I am not sure if it is current product or not, but Pentair used to sell an IC15, that came with a small plug-in power supply.. This power supply cannot be used on the large cells. My manual shows the IC15 and just like the larger units must only get power when the pump is running..

I think the IC15 would work on a 10K pool, but you will have to run your cell longer.

I am a great Pentair fan, but I would go with a Circupool unit instead.. Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.