Local pool shop recommended against swivel cable

Dandelion

Aug 23, 2020
Brisbane
I asked my local pool shop about robots today and they recommended the Dolphin X30 for $2050AUD. A quick glance made me realize it's the S200 with a different colour, but doesn't include the fine basket or a swivel cable.

I could probably get them to throw in a fine filter with some negotiation, but I was wondering about the swivel cable. They told me they're moving away from swivel cables because it's a weak point and that if you don't let out too much cable it won't get tangled anyway.

Thoughts?

There is a video on how to take it apart clean and maint the swivel. Easy process and takes 5 minutes. I did mine last week and it was dry, just added a dab of pool lube on the o-rings
I do think it's a failure point but worth the risk because it helps the cable not tangle as much and if you take care if it like everything else I think it will last a long time

Dan,

I have been using robots for almost 15 years. The original ones did not have a swivel and the cable would twist.. I have new ones now with the swivel and the cable still tangles, but I'd guess about 50% less.

If my only choice was to buy one without a swivel, or not buy one at all, I would buy the one without a swivel... It is not a huge difference.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I can always order the S200 for the same price somewhere else. I guess I'm just wondering whether I should choose the one with the swivel or not. The swivel sounds handy to have less tangles, but is it a weak spot that will possibly break and mean more costly repairs?

Dan,

I currently have three Dolphins.. The oldest is almost six years old and is now in a rent house pool.. It has a swivel and I have never had a problem with it.. I have two S200s that are over a year old and they have had no problems.

From my small sample, I see no issues...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sounds like for the same price the swivel is worth it getting over non swivel.

My other option is the s100 for $1450AUD because the pool is only 8m long. Is an extra brush and having less tangle worth the $500 extra?

I can see myself getting annoyed by having to untangle it every time if it’s a large difference in twists.

They sell a swivel cable I can retrofit for $250, bringing it up to $1700 for a S100 with swivel. Maybe I'm better off spending the $1950 for the extra brush.

Last edited:
Sounds like for the same price the swivel is worth it getting over non swivel.

My other option is the s100 for $1450AUD because the pool is only 8m long. Is an extra brush and having less tangle worth the $500 extra?

I can see myself getting annoyed by having to untangle it every time if it’s a large difference in twists.

They sell a swivel cable I can retrofit for $250, bringing it up to $1700 for a S100 with swivel. Maybe I'm better off spending the $1950 for the extra brush.

The E10 sells for around $1000AUD and is great for pools under 9 m long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.