Local pool shop recommended against swivel cable

Dandelion

Aug 23, 2020
Brisbane
I asked my local pool shop about robots today and they recommended the Dolphin X30 for $2050AUD. A quick glance made me realize it's the S200 with a different colour, but doesn't include the fine basket or a swivel cable.

I could probably get them to throw in a fine filter with some negotiation, but I was wondering about the swivel cable. They told me they're moving away from swivel cables because it's a weak point and that if you don't let out too much cable it won't get tangled anyway.

Thoughts?

markayash

Gold Supporter
Mar 21, 2016
Marietta Ga
There is a video on how to take it apart clean and maint the swivel. Easy process and takes 5 minutes. I did mine last week and it was dry, just added a dab of pool lube on the o-rings
I do think it's a failure point but worth the risk because it helps the cable not tangle as much and if you take care if it like everything else I think it will last a long time

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Dan,

I have been using robots for almost 15 years. The original ones did not have a swivel and the cable would twist.. I have new ones now with the swivel and the cable still tangles, but I'd guess about 50% less.

If my only choice was to buy one without a swivel, or not buy one at all, I would buy the one without a swivel... It is not a huge difference.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Dandelion

Aug 23, 2020
Brisbane
Jim,

I can always order the S200 for the same price somewhere else. I guess I'm just wondering whether I should choose the one with the swivel or not. The swivel sounds handy to have less tangles, but is it a weak spot that will possibly break and mean more costly repairs?

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Dan,

I currently have three Dolphins.. The oldest is almost six years old and is now in a rent house pool.. It has a swivel and I have never had a problem with it.. I have two S200s that are over a year old and they have had no problems.

From my small sample, I see no issues...

Thanks,

Jim R.

markayash

Gold Supporter
Mar 21, 2016
Marietta Ga
I can tell a difference after doing a 5 minute cleaning..Started to get tangled more but now back to normal..I cleaned and lubed the cord where it goes into the swivel with pool lube

Dandelion

Aug 23, 2020
Brisbane
Sounds like for the same price the swivel is worth it getting over non swivel.

My other option is the s100 for $1450AUD because the pool is only 8m long. Is an extra brush and having less tangle worth the $500 extra?

I can see myself getting annoyed by having to untangle it every time if it’s a large difference in twists.

They sell a swivel cable I can retrofit for $250, bringing it up to $1700 for a S100 with swivel. Maybe I'm better off spending the $1950 for the extra brush.

Last edited:

Sharonjh

Bronze Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
Australia
Sounds like for the same price the swivel is worth it getting over non swivel.

My other option is the s100 for $1450AUD because the pool is only 8m long. Is an extra brush and having less tangle worth the $500 extra?

I can see myself getting annoyed by having to untangle it every time if it’s a large difference in twists.

They sell a swivel cable I can retrofit for $250, bringing it up to $1700 for a S100 with swivel. Maybe I'm better off spending the $1950 for the extra brush.
The E10 sells for around $1000AUD and is great for pools under 9 m long.