Local article on SWFL pool care vs. up north

ka8yiu

Gold Supporter
Aug 11, 2016
SW FL
A local publication had an interesting article about pool care in SW Florida. It compared differences in pool care needs here vs. up north. I was surprised at the references to proper levels of CYA.

Page Viewer - Charlotte County Florida Weekly - AtHome

I am not sure if the link will work, or if it is allowed. So, I also snapped a photo of that part of it.

I was very pleased to see many things taught and discussed here in the article. I couldn’t convert some family members up north to TFP. But I also wondered if they can more easily get away with what they do because of the shorter swim seasons.

661a33dd0513259af72e7ceab6c62904.png

Kevin

That entire quote in the middle of the picture from Monroe about cyanuric acid just shows how little about the chemistry he understands ... a bunch of half-truths as is typical of the pool industry. Once the CYA is dissolved in the water, none of that is true. But if you left the acid just sitting on the plaster for long periods of time, the damage might be possible.

If you look at the label a bottle of stabilizer, it says to pour in the skimmer! No wonder people end up with damage over time.

True, but I was surprised at the 30-50 recommended range.
I am not. That is a pretty typical recommended these days, partially because they will not recommend a FC higher than 5ppm ... and if they allow higher CYA, the FC would not be enough. It is like the industry is sort of accepting the CYA / FC relationship, but then also ignoring other things, like higher FC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.