Liquidator question

Other options are a Stenner pump or SWG.

My only concern with the Liquidator or a Stenner setup is exposing the bleach in the storage tank to our high temperatures here in the desert southwest. And with either, you still have to cart bleach from the store to your house.

As for costs - over the long term, liquid bleach will cost about the same as a SWG.

Other options are a Stenner pump or SWG.

My only concern with the Liquidator or a Stenner setup is exposing the bleach in the storage tank to our high temperatures here in the desert southwest. And with either, you still have to cart bleach from the store to your house.

As for costs - over the long term, liquid bleach will cost about the same as a SWG.
Thank for reply, I will have to check out Stenner pump. The guy at our local poool store was saying a swg system is not the way to go, although pool store guys are rarely worth listening to he made a good case for not doing that. Right now I am just using the BBB method of maintenance and was curious about when we leave town if I should just throw some pucks in the pool once again or use an alternative like the Liquidator. We are recently empty nesters and would like to travel some but dont trust my pool to anyone else.

I am curious why a SWCG is 'not the way to go'? We live in the desert, and leave for 6-8 weeks at a time. I use a pool service to keep the pool clean and they add acid each week to keep our pH in control. When I return I normally have to work on lowering our TA to keep our CSI in check but otherwise pretty easy. Without a SWCG there is no way I could keep a crystal clear TFP pool.

You would need a large SWCG (eg Pentair IC60) with that large a pool. You would still need to drain when your CH gets unmanageable (I normally get to 1000 ppm before it becomes tough to manage).

Good Luck!

If your equipment pad is close to the house, you could set the barrel of Chlorine (Bleach) inside the house, and lead your feed tube for the Stenner out through a wall.
I buried the 55 gallon drum into the ground to protect it from the sun, and heat that we get here in Alabama.

Once I dial my Stenner in, I really don't have to do much work in keeping everything in balance. I would have no problem with going out of town for a couple of weeks.

I
I am curious why a SWCG is 'not the way to go'? We live in the desert, and leave for 6-8 weeks at a time. I use a pool service to keep the pool clean and they add acid each week to keep our pH in control. When I return I normally have to work on lowering our TA to keep our CSI in check but otherwise pretty easy. Without a SWCG there is no way I could keep a crystal clear TFP pool.

You would need a large SWCG (eg Pentair IC60) with that large a pool. You would still need to drain when your CH gets unmanageable (I normally get to 1000 ppm before it becomes tough to manage).

Good Luck!
I wish I could remember what the guy at Patio pools told us, but it made me and my wife go, oh well that makes sense and we left. Maybe we will look into it more, especially if we want to travel, it sounds like what we need. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

If your equipment pad is close to the house, you could set the barrel of Chlorine (Bleach) inside the house, and lead your feed tube for the Stenner out through a wall.
I buried the 55 gallon drum into the ground to protect it from the sun, and heat that we get here in Alabama.

Once I dial my Stenner in, I really don't have to do much work in keeping everything in balance. I would have no problem with going out of town for a couple of weeks.
No the equipment pad is not that close to the house, so that would not work. I do have my cargo container 20 feet or so from their, that might be an idea. Where do you get a 50 gallon drum of chlorine and how do you plumb the pump. Interesting Thanks.

My Liquidator work for 5 days before the bi-product salt flakes from the liquid chlorine clogged up both in and out floats. Clean and repeat........

P.S. on the "ease of use" wouldn't the SWG win hands down vs. Stenner pump?
I dont know, I have been checking around and a 55 gal drum of 10% bleach can be had for 150 dollars form jaitorial supply and a pump from Amazon is 200 bucks and I already have the cargo container out back to put it in. I think that drum would last me 2 years for chlorine so 400 bucks roughly for everything includeing the plumbing. It kind of sounds like a no brainer to me, I would have to go with steel braided line from the bleach to the pool pad so critters dont chew through it. But doable. The only problem would be setting off some alarm bells to the feds thinking I am making drugs or some kind of bomb with all that bleach, ha ha.

Bleach (liquid Chlorine) degrades due to HEAT and UV. If you started with 10% bleach it would be half that strength in weeks, maybe sooner, in our warm summer days here in the desert.

Good Luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bleach (liquid Chlorine) degrades due to HEAT and UV. If you started with 10% bleach it would be half that strength in weeks, maybe sooner, in our warm summer days here in the desert.

Good Luck!
If I put the chlorine in my cargo container and the barrel is blue where no sunlight could get to it I thought it would be alright? but your also saying heat will effect the bleach % also. Interesting maybe less would be better, maybe just 15 or 20 gals and just use when we travel? It definately will get hot out there. Thanks

Breakdown of bleach over time by storage temperature

Copy the link above into your browser. It is a bit deep but basically 10% bleach at 90F will degrade to 5% in ~115 days.

Your idea of using it just for periods of travel might be a possibility. However you would also need to set up a method to dispense Acid as it needs to be added regularly with our hard water.

Good Luck!

Breakdown of bleach over time by storage temperature

Copy the link above into your browser. It is a bit deep but basically 10% bleach at 90F will degrade to 5% in ~115 days.

Your idea of using it just for periods of travel might be a possibility. However you would also need to set up a method to dispense Acid as it needs to be added regularly with our hard water.

Good Luck!
True, thank you for that info. I guess I wasnt thinking about the heat and also I just replastered a few weeks ago so acid really needs to be added. So I guess travelling is not in my future this summer, it looks like I will be a slave to my pool.

I think I have come to the realisation that liquid chlorine can be added by making my own liquidator for 20 bucks worth of plastic and just running it through my pump. There is a pressure and suction plug for winterization, I will just take these out and run my homemade liquidator through these,without drilling holes through my pipes.Is there some reason not everyone is doing this that I have not thought of?

I think I have come to the realisation that liquid chlorine can be added by making my own liquidator for 20 bucks worth of plastic and just running it through my pump. There is a pressure and suction plug for winterization, I will just take these out and run my homemade liquidator through these,without drilling holes through my pipes.Is there some reason not everyone is doing this that I have not thought of?

Wouldn't the entire tank/drum of chlorine get sucked up in a matter of minutes if you did this? How would you make it a steady slow stream of chlorine entering the pool and how would you regulate it? Sounds like a good idea, but not sure it will work as intended.

On my Hayward pump I have a suction and a pressure port plugged at the bottom. I just purchased a couple of male adaptors for 3/8 in. tube x 1/4 in. MIP and screwed them into my pump and ran 3/8 1n. tubing in and out to my homemade chlorine injector and I don't think it cares where pressure and suction comes from, but may be wrong here.Last night I ran it for 10 hours and this morning had a FC reading of 10 ppm. may need to dial it down a tad. Last night I started with 3 ppm. and added 4 gallons of 12% chlorine to my chlorine injector, I think if it was just going to empty the chlorine straight into my pool it might have read higher than that. Also my tank is black so it is hard to see the chlorine at the bottom. If something seems wrong here with my thinking I would appreciate any comments or info, thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.