Raising pool water level by raising drain level

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

We had astronomical water rate increases and a recent water bill of $1,088. We use water for both pool and landscaping.

I just bought 5 new water drain covers (see pic) and wanted to block the bottom 80% so when it rains, it will still have some room to drain, but will retain about another 1.5” of water to pool water line. Our pools greater length runs S-N, so high winds from S (95% of yrly prevailing winds) so we have high evap rates.

Question: would there be any drawbacks to pool pump/return/skimmer system or anything else by doing this? I have used gorilla tape previously and it held very well to hold higher water line, but robot scrubbing walls takes it off. I saw the PB put tape over side drain when emptying spa by reversing pump flow.

Thank you for your feedback and thank you to those on this Memorial Day who gave it all for us.

E5B4BE1D-D086-4262-BB27-628743443FAC.jpeg

The only drawback is less/no skimming depending on how high the water gets.

Many don't even need skimming once the spring crud is done. I might fill one skimmer basket the entire season with an open yard, including the spring and fall.

Reactions: BowserB
Thanks pro & ndude. My brother lives in Chandler and his pool doesn’t even have a side drain. I will review the product more on my laptop.

On skimming, w high winds (note Houston’s most recent storm w winds up to 100MPH+), i have had oak leaves in my pool and no oak trees around for 1/3/-1/2 mile from house, and a lot of nearby tall palm trees that are always shedding. Therefore, skimming is always important yr rd the clock.

Thanks again.

Reactions: newdude
My brother lives in Chandler and his pool doesn’t even have a side drain
Yeah, overflow drains aren't a thing here.
We can easily evaporate 1 to 1.5 times our pool volume each year.
And very little rain as well.

If you do raise your water level a little, you may need to manually skim with a net more often.