Liquid Chlorine Gone From Shelves...

LGLDSR73

Jun 26, 2019
Boston
I've been using Pool Essentials Liquid Chlorine (12%) but it's all be disappeared. I assume I can use off the shelf Clorox Bleach, non-scented? I believe it's 10%. Any keywords to avoid such as 'Now with Extra Whiteners", etc? Should I expect any difference in impact on CYA, pH, T/A from what I've been using?

As always, thanks.

Skip

Lilypad

Bronze Supporter
Nov 12, 2016
Plano, Texas
Yes, that works fine. Plain, ol' bleach. Walmart has their Pool Essentials as a seasonal item. You can find liquid chlorine at Lowes. It's their Kemtek brand.

BowserB

Silver Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Katy, Texas
Don't know about Boston, but Houston area Leslie's has four gallon containers in a box. 12.5% for $15.99. That's the cheapest per oz of chlorine I've found here.

LGLDSR73

Jun 26, 2019
Boston
Thanks Bowser but the pool is only going to be up for another 3 weeks and 4 gallons will be overkill (~5,000 gal). Before I found this fantastic Forum I was using pool shock so in between last year and early this year I have eight gallons of that to get rid of when the landfill has a Hazmat day.
Best,
Skip

LGLDSR73

Jun 26, 2019
Boston
Exactly, and I'd like to use Bleach. Any specific brands? I never knew about polymers, thanks for the heads up.

Best,
Skip

Demegrad9

May 27, 2017
Coventry, CT
There are a few Ocean State Job Lots stores around Boston. They stock 12% 'Liquid Shock' around me for ~$3/gallon. It's the same as bleach, just more concentrated so you have to use less.

rocker93

Aug 15, 2019
Great Lakes
If you're still stuck, I "second" the Lowe's suggestion if you have one near you. My Wal-Mart cleared all the Pool Essentials chlorine to make room for back to school stuff, but fortunately yesterday I found the very same Pool Essentials liquid at our Lowe's.

LGLDSR73

Jun 26, 2019
Boston
Hi Rocker93,
Lowes is where I have been buying it they are all out, despite what their online inventory says......

Thanks!
Skip