Liquid Chlorine Cost Increase @ Home Depot

I'm thinking about the same thing. My pool was just built, but in about 3 years the salt will be up from LC. Maybe prices on SWGs will come back to a more reasonable price then.
Reasonable is relative. If I still had to use LC I would be spending about $170 per month on LC during the warm season, which runs about May - November here. That's enough to lease an inexpensive car. Even at $2,000 an SWG pays for itself in a little over a year. Everything after that is "free," and that's if LC prices stay stable.

Reactions: Newdude
Curious what you all are experiencing in other states. In AZ a box of two gallons of 10% early last year cost around 8.00, with the potential for additional discounting if the quantity purchased reached a bulk number. Today that same box is 9.98, with no option to capture bulk savings. What the heck is going on?
Hate to pile on this thread, but Home Depot price for 2 gallons is now up to $17.99. Unbelievable!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chefwitchyherb
I'm pondering the getting ahead of any additional summer price spikes by bulk buying in a couple weeks. Curious how many of you all store LC inside your home? In AZ storing it outside in the shade or in an enclosed garage that can reach 125 degrees doesn't seem prudent.

Reactions: asusundevil
I'm pondering the getting ahead of any additional summer price spikes by bulk buying in a couple weeks. Curious how many of you all store LC inside your home? In AZ storing it outside in the shade or in an enclosed garage that can reach 125 degrees doesn't seem prudent.
I'm in the Dallas-Ft Worth area in Irving, Tx. I've stored my Bleach in my Garage for many years without any measurable potency depletion when I test the pool dosing results (with DPD Powder).

I usually buy in bulk cartons since, as of now, I've not seen any shelf/storage potency loss with my stock over the past few years.

I'll usually stock up with about 12 cartons sometime in the 1st week or two in May to get ready for the summer usage increases.

I also like to stock up when I'm about 3-4 cartons from depletion in my stock since the outlets sometimes run out of their stock for 2-3 weeks at a time particularly between May-Aug in my area.

I just checked my nearby Home Depot 4-Jug Carton price & it went up again, now at $39.98/Carton which is about $10/Jug.

My nearest Lowes has the same product for $6.98/Jug. Although it's a longer drive, I'll probably switch to Lowes for my Bleach purchases.

I store Home Depot LC in my laundry room and never had a problem, the bottles are tightly sealed and tightly re-seal. Hasa returnable cases are another story, they always come with a bunch of chlorinated rinse juice at the bottom of the case and I'd have to wash out the case and outside of the bottles to bring inside.

Looks like Home Depot LC is gonna stay at $17.98 for 2 gallons here. I'm honestly just surprised they made it through summer '22 at $10 for 2 given energy prices had already spiked by spring. Maybe they had a long contract for it.

I've acquired a Hayward Aquatrol and will be joining the dark side.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Chlorine probably doesn't weight heavily in the CPI basket, and it should track energy very closely because that's the main production input. What was weird is how long it didn't track energy at home depot. Like I was saying, my guess is they had a contract.

It is my understanding that chlorine generation sites self generate much of their own power using the hydrogen liberated during the process.

Apparently you get 30 kilos of hydrogen for every 1000 kilo chlorine, which is about a MWh theoretically, and input required is 3.3 MWh. But I don't know what hydrogen generation would be practical I would've guessed they sell the hydrogen.

I'm not sure how many kwh this means goes into a gallon of 10% chlorine, 1kwh? Either way it's less than I imagined.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Based on that breakdown table of storage of bleach/chlorine, does it make sense to buy sealed LC and store for months indoors to prevent frequent trips and running out?

Based on that breakdown table of storage of bleach/chlorine, does it make sense to buy sealed LC and store for months indoors to prevent frequent trips and running out?
Welp. That depends. 1 gal of 10% is 5ppm FC for you. So you'll be using almost a gallon most days during the peak season, and TX has a long peak season. So if you found a new batch on a shelf, you'd need about 70 jugs to have enough on hand before it started to degrade.

I would totally buy 30 if I was you and had the (cool) storage space. I would not buy 100.

Actually I would ask around at the car washes and office cleaning companies to find a supplier of 55 gal drums and replace that every other month (as needed)

Curious what you all are experiencing in other states. In AZ a box of two gallons of 10% early last year cost around 8.00, with the potential for additional discounting if the quantity purchased reached a bulk number. Today that same box is 9.98, with no option to capture bulk savings. What the heck is going on?
I came here today in search of chlorine options. HD in Peoria is now $17.97 for a freakin 2 gallon case. Omg! What in sam heck?!?! Where are you getting your liquid chlorine from now? I was at Walmart last night and they had 10% 2 gallon cases for about $10.

I'm in Peoria, AZ, I store my chlorine in the living room closet under the stairs. 😞

Northwest Louisiana here and wanted to start getting ahead on LC. Couldn’t believe the price jumped to 37 bucks for a 4 pack. I guess LC needs to match the outrageous prices of pucks. Maybe when prices come down on pucks the LC will follow. Some potential good news about pucks.

Reactions: hwy17
I remember shortly after Sam died, they started having blue light specials. It was a police car bubble light on a cart atop an electrical conduit pole and they would turn it on and a minute or two later get on the PA system and announce the sale and maybe which item or isle.

It was never a bargain though, if you were in the store the night before you could watch them furiously busy marking stuff up in preparation for the next day sale...

Sam's Club was a short return to decent prices but I think it was "unintentional" and due to competition. Walmart would have you believe quantity discounting was their idea, but the first Sam's Club store here was originally Super Savers Wholesale Warehouse, presumably a chain bought out by WallMart. At that time I remember better pricing before the buy out...

I suppose I better stop here before I say something that tempts our moderators...

Suffice it to say $5.47 may look like a decent price but I'm betting Walmart's acquisition cost hasn't changed much in the past decade.

I remember shortly after Sam died, they started having blue light specials. It was a police car bubble light on a cart atop an electrical conduit pole and they would turn it on and a minute or two later get on the PA system and announce the sale and maybe which item or isle.

It was never a bargain though, if you were in the store the night before you could watch them furiously busy marking stuff up in preparation for the next day sale...

Sam's Club was a short return to decent prices but I think it was "unintentional" and due to competition. Walmart would have you believe quantity discounting was their idea, but the first Sam's Club store here was originally Super Savers Wholesale Warehouse, presumably a chain bought out by WallMart. At that time I remember better pricing before the buy out...

I suppose I better stop here before I say something that tempts our moderators...

Suffice it to say $5.47 may look like a decent price but I'm betting Walmart's acquisition cost hasn't changed much in the past decade.
Higher price isn't limited to Walmart. All other places have it for a similar price. Inflation playing a big part of that in addition to lots of other factors.

• Sad
Reactions: KJB1
Anti-trust used to be in the news a lot more, if I recall correctly there were also changes relating to FCC authority to enforce truthfulness of the news media about a decade or two ago.

But yeah, when employers have to pay employees more they raise prices. So I'm making twice as much and paying 5-10 times more, funny how you don't see that in the news cycles?

Reactions: KJB1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.