Paxcou

Feb 10, 2020
NJ (shore)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I read everything on the website, bug I still have some clarification questions. Sorry for my naivety ! I am a one year pool owner. Last year I was able to take care of it myself by testing the water at the pool shop, and closing in my own. This year I will test it myself, open myself etc...

Last year u was using Frog system, based on my reading in the blog and forum, I will go for liquid chlorine this year.

However, while I understand the idea to put some tablet in the canister used to out the frog cartridge so there is a constant flow of chlorine going to tbe pool, I am not sure how to do with the liquid chlorine to keep a constant flow of chlorine.

Also last year, the pool shop suggested me every week to throw a bag of shock in the pool, regardless of the water test that I did not run every week.

So my questions are :
- what is the frequency of applying the liquid chlorine to keep a flow of chlorine ?
- how many times a week/month should I test the water if everything seems right and I don't have urgency to test it ?
- when should I due shock ?

P,

I have three pools that I have owned for a combined total of over 20 years.. I follow the TFP process and have never added a single bag of the "required" pool store shock.

If you follow our process, weekly shock treatments are just not needed.

I have saltwater pools, so they make their own chlorine.. If you use liquid chlorine you will need to add it once a day and you will have to add enough so that your pool never goes below the minimum in this chart... FC/CYA Levels..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Paxcou
So my questions are :
- what is the frequency of applying the liquid chlorine to keep a flow of chlorine ?
- how many times a week/month should I test the water if everything seems right and I don't have urgency to test it ?
- when should I due shock ?

Welcome, trying to answer your questions in order:
1. You dont need to keep a "flow of chlorine" going, just simply add the liquid chlorine when your tests indicate. Sometimes it will need chlorine daily, other times it will be longer.
2. Getting a proper test kit in fundamental to this website. Daily testing is recommended, especially at first.
3. Shock is a product and should not be needed. SLAM is a similar term used here, but you are trying to hit and maintain a certain chlorine level and maintain it at that level until all of the algae/bad stuff. This can take days or even weeks, but is only needed if you get algae, which you wont if you keep your chlorine levels at the correct levels all the time.

Also, please understand that you either have to maintain your pool the TFP way, or you do what your pool store says. You can't combine information, as the two systems are often diametrically opposite in what they recommend. Needless to say, the TFP way of maintenance will be your best bet; its scientifically proven, its cheaper, and it works.

Also, please understand that you either have to maintain your pool the TFP way, or you do what your pool store says. You can't combine information, as the two systems are often diametrically opposite in what they recommend. Needless to say, the TFP way of maintenance will be your best bet; its scientifically proven, its cheaper, and it works.
Definitely, I will stick to it !

Reactions: carnivalday
They maybe thinking/referring as powered chlorine and shock are the same..10 years ago before i knew what CYA was I would do that, throw in a little shock every few days but I believe years ago most shock was calcium based and didn't mess with the stabilizer.
Homedepot has 3 bottles of pool chlorine for $9.99 and the price drops to $8.99 if you buy 4 or more. Plus a lot of stores will deliver for a fee if your like me and a small car.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ocean State Job Lot stores have liquid chlorine at 12.5% and is usually cheaper than Home Depot. If you have one near you, I’d recommend going there. I usually purchase 4 cases (16 gal) at a time. You can buy and set up a Stenner pump w/15 gal tank to add liquid chlorine to your pool on a set schedule.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.