Nov 29, 2022
TX
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I am new to pool ownership and have a quick question about pool lights.

1. Other than the obvious is there an difference between using a 12 volt light or a 120 volt light. Our current pool has an Intermatic PX300 connected to the existing light. I am installing a new control panel and in the process was going to replace the transformer as it is original and the housing is in bad shape.

2. Tied to the first question is it “easy” to pull a new light cable? The existing light does not work as the housing leaked and it needs replaced. I was just not sure if you put in the new light how you would pull the cable from the control box to the light as the only junction box is at the control panel and the rest of the conduit is buried over to behind the light fixture.

Easy is relative to the length of the light cord and the age of the conduit. Twelve-volt lights have thicker cable so the pull is a bit harder. If it is 1" PVC conduit, it shouldn't be a big problem.
The old light is cut off the existing cord. Strip 6" or so from the three conductors of both the old and new cord. Loop them together and wrap the excess tightly around itself. Use tape to keep the ties from pulling loose, you don't want the cord to separate half way through a pull. Pull the new light with the old cable back to its junction box.
This is a good video of the process and the new light is 12V (orange cord), its worth a view or two..

Reactions: mknauss
Thank you! I was just trying to look ahead to potentially replace this as I am fixing some of the items with the pool this spring.

1. Other than the obvious is there an difference between using a 12 volt light or a 120 volt light. Our current pool has an Intermatic PX300 connected to the existing light. I am installing a new control panel and in the process was going to replace the transformer as it is original and the housing is in bad shape.
There is a lot of discourse about which is better (safer usually being the debate).

For me, it comes down to what I can get ahold of at the time we do the work.
I did 120V on my personal pool and it was slightly influenced by our guy at Pentair confirming those had a better track record.

Maybe I'll change to 12V later. But it will be because I'm bored and have hankering for a good-ol swearing fit. :LOL:

Reactions: Newdude and JamesW
The bulb in the old light was a replacement at 12 volts and 300 watts, but the cord for the old light is black and I don't see a transformer anywhere, so it seems odd.

The person who replaced the bulb did not get a good seal as indicated by the water in the light and the loose clamp.

1674677686111.png

Last edited:
There is a lot of discourse about which is better (safer usually being the debate).
One problem with 12 volt lights is that there is no GFCI or overcurrent protection for the lights.

Everything downstream of the transformer will not trip the GFCI breaker upstream of the transformer.

In my opinion, the transformers should come with integrated GFCI and overcurrent protection.

This week we had one of our defective globrite units short out and start smoking (looked like dry ice bubbling under water). As a result of this short, the power supply, to the bulb, melted and almost started a fire in the power supply line! I was surprised the breaker in the Intellicenter wasn’t tripped from the short.

Last edited:
I see a subpanel, but no transformer.

They indicate that the transformer is in the subpanel, but, if it is, I suspect that the transformer is not a "Listed" transformer as required by code and the junction box also has to be "Listed", which it is not.

So, they need to replace the junction box and probably the transformer.

1674678333857.png

I suspect that the original light was 120 volts and they replaced the bulb with a 12 volt bulb and then stuck a transformer in the subpanel, which is not a correct thing to do,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.