PSA: Disconnect the power supply to defective Globrite units

SunShine112

Jan 22, 2023
Orlando
This week we had one of our defective globrite units short out and start smoking (looked like dry ice bubbling under water). As a result of this short, the power supply, to the bulb, melted and almost started a fire in the power supply line! I was surprised the breaker in the Intellicenter wasn’t tripped from the short. After this I’ll never again purchase another Pentair product. This could have been catastrophic. Note the photos were taken while I was disconnecting the wire nuts (after I turned off the circuit breaker).

Looks like we’ll be ordering a set of the 1.5” Florida Sunseekers this week as replacements.

D81BDAB0-D8E0-46EA-9078-747AB17B8FFC.jpegE7FA1861-DA24-4310-8DCE-5440747E9122.jpegABF745E3-C75D-4BD2-8F27-6C0233E390B7.jpeg

Last edited:
12 volt lights won't trip a regular or GFCI breaker because the transformer isolates the lights from the breaker.

The current on the low voltage side would need to exceed 150 amps for a long time to even have a chance of tripping a regular GFCI before the transformer.

However, everything on the low voltage side would completely burn up in seconds at that amperage.

In my opinion, they should put breakers and GFCIs in the transformers for the low voltage side.

Reactions: SunShine112
The Globrites seem to get lots of complaints.

The FS lights are not “Listed”, which means that they are technically probably not legal to use.

Note: Listed means listed by a NRTL (Like UL) as compliant to UL 676, which is required by the NEC.

Reactions: SunShine112

To be safe, the low voltage side should have in-line fuses on the wiring. They are very simple to install and can be sized to whatever amperage is needed for the light fixture.

Reactions: borjis
It seems to me that the transformers should include some type of overload and ground fault protection.

It would, of course, cost more, but it should not be exorbitant.

It’s the same concept as the EasyTouch load center - the 24VAC transformer output runs up through a bunch of fast mini CBs before they power up various parts of the panel (brain board, actuator board, etc). Those CBs protect the equipment from accidental shorts. But yes, adding a fuse to the low voltage side of the lighting transformer would be simple and cheap.

Reactions: JamesW
Thank you all for the feedback. I tried calling pentair support but their support line had a 50+ minute wait time. I submitted an e-mail ticket to their team. I’m surprised there hasn’t been any talk about a class action lawsuit for these defective and potentially dangerous bulbs.

As for the Florida Sunseekers, thanks for the info about them not being UL listed. With the Globrite Niches in mind, do we have any other options besides the pentair microbrites with the corresponding adapter? I would be okay replacing the power driver and Intellicenter if needed. I think the biggest hang up is the proprietary niche size.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.