Let the build begin!!!

Quick question... How did you finish the underside of the bar top ledge (overhang)? Did you just put hardie board under it and leave it as is, or is it open to the steel 2 x 4 frame? I guess it wouldn't matter either way, since only the kids under 4ft tall would see under there? Since I'm in the middle of my framing, I thought about this.

Thanks... I'm also curious on about the countertop stain...

I put hardi under the overhang. I thought like you did and thought no one would see it, but decided on attaching the hardi and glad I did. Many people will look under the counter just to see how you built it or if sitting in a chair you will be able to see it. Leaving just the studs showing will make it looked unfinished. Doesn't take much time to screw some hardi under there. Plus it helps keep the critters out.

Love the look of that concrete color! You may have changed my mind on the granite. The Z-forms snap off and are not reusable right? The last time I thought about the concrete I was thinking of going with that split granite edge. Did you have much finishing work with the Quikcrete mix? Did you get the stain at Lowes as well? Which brand and color is it?

You can't reuse the Z counterforms. Once you snap off the edge they're done. The stain I got at my local concrete shop. It's a brand called proline. Its a waterbased stain and the color was pinto. My wife did the great job of staing the concrete using a sponge. We then added a "wet look" sealer. It took a lot of sanding with diamond sanding pads to get smooth. My trowel skills are less then desirable.

Got another question for you. :D When you put hardie board for the countertops, I see you left an overhang of about 2-3". You then attached the z-form to the end, creating your desired countertop overhang. Did you go back and cut the hardie board flat with the walls of the island, so it wouldn't be visible under the countertop? I'm assuming you cut them back then placed your stacked stone right up to the bottom of the counters.

Thanks.

Got another question for you. :D When you put hardie board for the countertops, I see you left an overhang of about 2-3". You then attached the z-form to the end, creating your desired countertop overhang. Did you go back and cut the hardie board flat with the walls of the island, so it wouldn't be visible under the countertop? I'm assuming you cut them back then placed your stacked stone right up to the bottom of the counters.

Thanks.

I didn't cut the hardi under the counter. The stone I installed covered the hardi. No reason to cut it out since the stone covered it.

Not sure about Redguard but Hydroban(laticrete version of hydrophobic coating) used under veneer stone is the layer just before adding stone. Let dry and mortar veneer stone directly to it. Mortar joints are not waterproof so depending on where you live and how you build the structure you may want to coat it.

- - - Updated - - -

oops wrong thread!;)

Orogrande, did you use a additive for the quikcrete i.e. Z counterforms counterpack or liquicrete or Chengs additives? I have been hitting countertop forums - some use the additives and some don't with good results. Curious to know what you used or didnt use - your project turned out great!

Orogrande, did you use a additive for the quikcrete i.e. Z counterforms counterpack or liquicrete or Chengs additives? I have been hitting countertop forums - some use the additives and some don't with good results. Curious to know what you used or didnt use - your project turned out great!

I didn't use any additives for my concrete counter. I only used the quikrete countertop mix. Had to special order from lowes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Love the build. I will be doing one similar to this in size, where did you get the plan or did you make the plan yourself? If you made it yourself, can you share? Also, the footrest, how did you attach it? Where did you go to learn about making the countertop out of concrete? This will be my first ODK so any help would be appreciated.

Love the build. I will be doing one similar to this in size, where did you get the plan or did you make the plan yourself? If you made it yourself, can you share? Also, the footrest, how did you attach it? Where did you go to learn about making the countertop out of concrete? This will be my first ODK so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you. Sorry, no plans. Did it all in my head. I attached the footrest by screwing the footrest frame to the island frame. There are a lot of great videos on YouTube that show you how to make an island and countertop. Good luck to you.

imagejpg1_zps6992a635.jpg

imagejpg2_zpseb9fa06c.jpg

imagejpg3_zps766ac24e.jpg

Holy holy! That came out phenomenally well!! First class!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.