North NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
My existing Hayward halogen light fixture is dead (not just the bulb) so I need to get a replacement. It's a Hayward Astrolite SP-580 120v 500w and I am trying to decide if the upcharge to convert to LED would be worth it. Are LED lights sealed units and thus less prone to water seeping in? Do they need to be replaced less often? I would maybe use the light for 20-30 hours a year total so it wouldn't be used all that often.

I understand "worth" is subjective to each person but if there is a definite benefit for upgrading I'm not opposed.

And just to add insult to injury whoever installed my light only left ~24" of slack in the line, just enough to clear the water line but not nearly enough to get the light up onto the deck...

Are LED lights sealed units and thus less prone to water seeping in?

No.

Do they need to be replaced less often?

No.

Only advantage to LED's is the color changing. And that LEDs is the new technology.

There is nothing wrong with a white pool light from technology that is reliable.

How long did your halogen lights last?

Reactions: Dave_NJ
Great info, thanks for responding.

The light has never worked since I bought the house over four years ago. This is my first pool and this season I started correcting all the various problems I could find, the light being one of them.

The power wiring for the light is all messed up. I traced out the circuits at the panel and figured it all out but it looks like someone either cut the fixture wires inside the junction box or tried to pull them out of the conduit without cutting the cord off the fixture first. The ground and neutral wires are visible in the conduit where it terminates in the junction box but there is no power wire. Since I can't see the wires I am going to just replace the entire fixture and call it a day.

On a separate note the bonding wire for the fixture is in the same conduit as the electrical wire but is not connected to anything at the equipment pad. There is a 6" piece that comes out of the conduit and that's it. The conduit from the panel and the conduit for the fixture wires terminate in this junction box: Hayward 1" Junction Box - SP0681 - INYOPools.com

Is it possible for a junction box to be bonded and the bonding wire from the fixture be attached to the junction box? The wire doesn't look like it was cut so it was either never connected to anything or somehow wired to the junction box.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.