Leave Robot Cleaner in Pool or Not?

simo711

Bronze Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Macon, GA
Hey all! I have been pulling my Dolphin Active 30i in and out of the pool for the past 6 months. Can I just leave it in the pool now that my swimming season is over? The weather gets down to about 20 and I plan on keeping my pool open year round with a solar cover over it to trap leaves and other debris.

Thanks for your feedback or experiences! Chris

Mine has been in the pool at least 300 of the 365 days. I only take it out for big swim weekends and to clean it out then it goes right back in. It stayed in all last winter and will again this winter.

I usually take mine out after it's cleaning cycle because:

A. The manufacturer recommends taking it out and cleaning the basket after every cycle.
B. I think it butt ugly to leave the robot and it's cable in the pool.

I think it's personal preference.

Reactions: BowserB
I usually take mine out after it's cleaning cycle because:

A. The manufacturer recommends taking it out and cleaning the basket after every cycle.
B. I think it butt ugly to leave the robot and it's cable in the pool.

I think it's personal preference.

Ditto.

In a few weeks I plan to pull it out completely, hose it all down, towel dry it and then put it in my garage for the winter. I’ll switch to manual vacuuming as-needed because my opinion is that leaving it outside to be exposed to the cold is a bad idea....there’s a nice warm spot in the garage right by the water heater.

Last edited:
I left 6 maytronics 300i in my pool last winter. I thought about removing them a few times, but didn't & opted to risk it (small calculated risk.) all 6 wintered over & worked like new.

Six in one pool...you must really like your pool clean....do they all get along or do you host robot fights? Can I place a bet?

:laughblue:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can leave it in the pool, but expect the waterproofing and plastics to not last as long. As a technician I can tell which robots are left in pools and which ones aren't. Though bad water chemistry does far worse things to units than extended submergence.

Think about it like garaging your car. Less time out in the weather means lest rust, less water getting in places where it shouldn't and less damage to the paint.

If the unit is sealed properly then the worse damage is going to be caused by poor water quality or taking it out and leaving it in the sun. Removing it and storing it for long periods of time probably does more harm than leaving it in the pool all the time, just like not using a dishwasher frequently enough results in the seals losing their pliability and efficacy.

My policy is to use the robot frequently, remove it from the pool after each use, and rinse it with fresh water, and then storing it in a cool, dry area that is protected from the elements. I don't go more than a week between uses and I also don't fret when I'm too lazy to take it out for a day or two.

You can leave it in the pool, but expect the waterproofing and plastics to not last as long. As a technician I can tell which robots are left in pools and which ones aren't. Though bad water chemistry does far worse things to units than extended submergence.

Think about it like garaging your car. Less time out in the weather means lest rust, less water getting in places where it shouldn't and less damage to the paint.

Bomb,

What water chemistries do you believe have the worst impact? Also, what FC level is a safe range, then what ranges could cause premature corrosion or other? Also, I will admit I rarely wash off after removing, but I never leave it in the sun outside the water. If I deploy the shark later at night [8-9pm] and run the 4 hr cycle, then I will leave it over night and take out 5ish am the next morning..

Thanks, tstex

Bomb,

What water chemistries do you believe have the worst impact? Also, what FC level is a safe range, then what ranges could cause premature corrosion or other? Also, I will admit I rarely wash off after removing, but I never leave it in the sun outside the water. If I deploy the shark later at night [8-9pm] and run the 4 hr cycle, then I will leave it over night and take out 5ish am the next morning..

Thanks, tstex

Definitely low ph/alkalinity more than anything kills the robots fastest. But even the ones left in the pool for years with perfect chemistry start to bleach out and the plastic gets porous and brittle. And salt water gets to them, but that’s more the metal screws and ball bearings.

I don't know why there are automatic programs if you cannot leave it in the pool for periods of time.

Because consumers want it. Automation is all the rage now, people would rather not lift a finger to take care of the pool. I only advise people leave the cleaner in the pool and use weekly timers for if they’re going away on vacation or something.

Otherwise, keeping the unit out of the water when you can and put away in a shady spot is best. The seals don’t “dry out” because they are greased with PFTE lubricant, at least not for several years.

Because consumers want it. Automation is all the rage now, people would rather not lift a finger to take care of the pool. I only advise people leave the cleaner in the pool and use weekly timers for if they’re going away on vacation or something.

Well said!

And instead of grabbing the handy pool brush and pushing the robot to a stray leaf, people go get the remote so they can drive it there (at least once). Good fun :)

I admit it's cool to show your mates when you see a leaf from the balcony over the pool. Go the 'bot. Cheers!!

LOL! I'll give Gilligan a kick toward some leaves every now and then. But, he is probably smarter than I am and it probably throws off his geosynchronous orbit and makes him miss even more leaves other places. :)

If the automation companies were smart, they’d sign joint development agreements with Maytronics to have built in modules in their automation systems to plug the robots into. This would be a huge leap forward in giving the automation owners the ability to plug a robot right into their panels.

If the automation companies were smart, they’d sign joint development agreements with Maytronics to have built in modules in their automation systems to plug the robots into. This would be a huge leap forward in giving the automation owners the ability to plug a robot right into their panels.

Why stop there? Build a robot garage in the pool wall that your little Tomatoa can crawl into when he's done cleaning. The Pebble matched garage door would completely conceal the opening.

You could even give the little fellah a toilet to dispose of the waste... Completely hands off automated cleaning!

Why stop there? Build a robot garage in the pool wall that your little Tomatoa can crawl into when he's done cleaning. The Pebble matched garage door would completely conceal the opening.

You could even give the little fellah a toilet to dispose of the waste... Completely hands off automated cleaning!

That would be awesome....but he would need a bidet installed to help clean him out and freshen up his bum....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.