Leave open for winter or close?

Oct 24, 2017
Memphis, TN
I bought a home with an in ground salt water pool and live in the Memphis, TN area. I know next to nothing about pools other than what I have read over today on this site and others like it (so far this one is by far the best!). I had the water tested by a local pool company a few times and the water tested fine each time. I skim the pool, and there are no signs of anything other than clear water. My question is, the local pool company asked me if I was closing my pool for the winter, I was unsure so I scheduled it. When the techs came out to close the pool, they told me that closing was not necessary unless I wanted to waste $500 opening and closing. He suggested that I keep the water levels up and put a chlorine tab in the skimmer weekly since the salt cell will not produce chlorine. Our winters are mild, but we do get below freezing for a few weeks out of the year. I'm really hoping for some advice from here since I am getting conflicting information from the same company on what to do... If there is already a thread that I missed, I apologize in advance!

I have the same question, so I'm following this thread. I'm in Nevada City, California, and I'm getting an above ground pool installed later this week. It's crazy that we are getting it installed only to immediately shut it up for the winter, but I want to give us time to build a d city around it.

We get mild winters (a few snow days a year, but not much and it doesn't stick around long). I'm wondering if I should officially "winterize" my above ground pool, or just put the winter cover on it and allow the filter to run for a little bit each day.

If you only get a few freezing nights a year you would be fine leaving it open. It is important to know if you pump has freeze protection or not built in. Either way make sure it is running on the nights it will be below zero.

Pools use much less chlorine over the winter months and you can supplement from time to time with a chlorine tab but don't over do it. Those tablets contain both FC and CYA. FC is used up keeping the water sanitary, CYA does not get used up and will remain in your water and possibly causing you issues down the road.

You should both spend a little time reading up in pool school. Here are a few good article for you.

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Feel free to ask questions, we are all here to help each other.

i would suggest circulating the pool at least some each day. I end up setting mine for 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening to skim. I then add bleach about twice a week.

I would not suggest completely ignoring it. Not sure where in CA you live. Would be different recommendation if you live in El Centro vs Mammoth Lakes.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.