Leave equipment out or not?

ta2dwonderwoman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2016
fall river ks
Here in Kansas we are finally getting into the cold part of December and temperatures are consistently dropping to or below freezing. I finally went ahead and disconnected all of my equipment from the pool but have not removed it from the pad and put it away yet. My question is this: is it okay to make sure all the water is drained and just leave it sitting on the pad over the winter or do I have to put it up? If I have to put it up my plan would be to put up the pump itself and the top portion of the sand filter but leave the drum and the sand sitting there , please advise if that's okay if it is advised that I put things up. Thanks in advance.

Today is the first day we start gaining daylight so as far as I'm concerned summer is on the way!:snorkle:

I've never heard of anyone opening the sand filter to store parts of it. Skip that for sure, just drain it.

The pump can be drained and left in place, or removed as you desire. If I lived in those cold climes I'd probably store it just so it didn't sit under a foot of snow for a month or whatever.

Or put a tarp on the drained equipment left in place?

Maddie :flower:

Thanks for the quick replies, this will be our first winter with this pump and sand filter so wasn't sure what the norm for storage was. I was thinking I needed to remove the top part of the sand filter and store it but after thinking about it there's no moving parts and it's not mechanical or electrical at all so I guess that's not necessary. All I know is between now and January 7th we're gaining 1 minute of sunlight everyday and after that 2 minutes everyday which means it's practically summer!

I need to amend my earlier comment- you *might* want to take the pressure gauge off and store it inside. Sometimes they don't like freezing temps. It should just screw on/off. If you don't, don't sweat it. They're cheap enough if needing replaced come summer.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.