Learning and need help

Hgr1969

Jul 7, 2019
Dallas, Texas
I have a 12,800 in ground gunite chlorine pool with a cartridge filter. I’ve had a pool company maintain it for the last 6 years at approx $325 a month. Looking to save money, so I discontinued the service and their last treatment was only 6 days ago. I just bought a Taylor K-2006 and I’m alarmed at the numbers (which I ran twice). The pool looks nice and clear, so I’m not sure how to proceed or how the numbers can be so bad since it was “professionally” maintained for so long. They’ve been using the 3” chlorine pucks in my chlorinator at full blast, which I plan to change to plain bleach soon.

FC - 6.6
CC - 0
pH - 8.0 (took 2 drops of acid demand to get to correct level)
TA - 125
CH - 525
CYA - well above 100

Any advice would be appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!
Great job on getting a test kit! $325 a month! Wow!
100 is the limit of the CYA test, so you have to do a diluted test. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. Multiply the result by 2 for your CYA level.
From there, you will most likely want to drain/exchange some pool water for fresh.
I suggest discontinuing any solid chlorine and using liquid chlorine added daily. Follow the FC/CYA Levels
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Reactions: Hgr1969
If your CYA is that high, then you probably were getting close to the point where they would tell you they have to exchange out some water. Which is probably what you'll have to do. Try doing the diluted CYA test - mix equal parts tap and pool water, and do the CYA test again. See if you can get a reading below 100 that way, and then multiply the result by two.

Reactions: Hgr1969
Welcome to the forum!
100 is the limit of the CYA test, so you have to do a diluted test. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. Multiply the result by 2 for your CYA level.
From there, you will most likely want to drain/exchange some pool water for fresh.
I suggest discontinuing any solid chlorine and using liquid chlorine added daily. Follow the FC/CYA Levels
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.
Welcome to the forum!

Thank you!

Thank you!
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, and that’s for only twice a month service!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.