Leaks detected, big bill ahead :(

jmsilhy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 3, 2019
McKinney, Texas
Hi guys, as usual I turn to you for advice. I had a leak detection performed in my pool/spa after realizing I was losing water faster than evaporation, and also since I just couldn't find an air leak coming into the pump. Here are the results from the company who did it:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Full leak detection. Pressure test-skimmers, main drain, returns-cleaner spa returns, spa main drain all held 15-5
-skimmer faces, main drain inner rings, spa inner rings, spa spillway 5ft and around cleaner return are all leaking and need to be dry repaired (medium blue plaster for cleaner repair)
-suction manifold has air leaks

Estimate to foam inject skimmer faces $650.00
Estimate to drain and dry repair main drain inner rings, spa inner rings, and cleaner line $850.00
Estimate to remove, seal and reset spillway cap only $750.00
Estimate to replumb suction manifold $ 450.00
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last line is for removing the air leak.
The guy that came out told me that the worst leaks are in the skimmers, and if nothing else, I should do those (he even told me I could use some A+B putty in the meantime).

Does this sound like a good estimate?
I'm a pretty good DIY'er but in this case I'm not sure if this is something you guys can help me through, or better leave it to the experts. Or just start patching things -like the skimmers- and leave the rest for later when I saved some money for this unexpected expense.

Thanks!

You can DIY leak repairs if you have the talent. The link below has links to the materials you need. Anderson Manufacturing has various leak repair materials.

The prices look reasonable for the work.

Reactions: jmsilhy
The costs for those repairs are in line with what they normally charge to do those. The main thing you have to ask yourself is, is the pool needing a remodel? If your plaster is getting close to the end of its life, you may want to band-aid the problems until you can budget for a remodel. :cheers:

Reactions: jmsilhy and proavia
Makes sense. I wrote on another post that I was finding this blue stuff in the cleaner, which is part of the plaster. I believe it's still a couple of years from needing a remodel, but I might try the obvious and worse leaks first and take it from there (skimmers).

Thanks!

I am also a member of "team band aid" for now. So far bought putty I didn't need, but I found my grout was leaking so fixed that. Plaster is old and falling apart with stains on it. Probably get pebble tec or something in a few years.

Pool putty around the skimmer face works well for those leaks. It costs 16 bucks on Amazon. That's where I have had leaks in the past after having someone come out and trouble shoot. It seems to last a couple of years in those spots and then I scrape it and re-apply. Might want to save for the Pebble Tech (Sheen in my case) and hope for 30 years after that. It will set you back around 10K though.

jm,

I find it a little hard to believe that you had so many places that were all leaking.. While it may be true, it just does not pass by Scam tests...

I can buy the skimmer leaks, as that is where most gunite pools leak, but I am suspicious of the other spots.

If this were my pool, I would either have them fix the skimmer, or I would do it myself, and then see if the problem was fixed or not.

Thanks,

Jim R.

jm,

The only one that I have used is the Leakmaster (Anderson) Pool Repair Putty... Comes in a round stick about 10" long.. Cut off what you want to mix and then kneed it into a putty.. Need to use it within a few minutes.. Sets up underwater with no problems. Will be white when dry.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jm,

Unless you can see where the skimmer is leaking, then the putty will not do you much good. Are there obvious cracks or gaps between your gunite and your skimmer? Is the skimmer cracked inside?

If they know the skimmer is the source of the main leak, I might go with their foam injection process..

Thanks,

Jim R.

@Jimrahbe the guy told me it that the leaks are where the skimmer and the pool meet, so I assume it's in the edges of where the water enter the skimmers. Not sure about the foam injection, I suppose it was to make sure and cracks would be sealed from inside. Any idea if this is what would do the trick (vs. a more standard Home Depot foam sealant):

In this thread, the OP posted a video that looks pretty easy to do...

Thanks for all your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.