Leakingg pump when off

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
I have a heyward 2 speed pump. It works well but I notice when its off it likes around the filter basket. The lid is on tight nad thers no air in it, If I tighten it anymore I may break it. Suggestions ?

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
If it is leaking at the pump strainer basket lid, you have a misaligned or damaged O-ring most likely. Examine/replace that and it will probably stop.

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
duraleigh said:
If it is leaking at the pump strainer basket lid, you have a misaligned or damaged O-ring most likely. Examine/replace that and it will probably stop.

How do you get to the O ring ? Is it between the lid and the basket ? Or underneath the basket ?

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
OK I plugged up the outlet hose coming to the filter. Took off the cap, cleaned the basket, inspected the O ring. Looked perfect, right where it should be. I put the cap back on carefully and tightened it pretty good. It seems to have made the leaking stop, theres still maybe a drip. I don't want to tighten too hard. How many turns do you guys usually get ?
BTW--I think this is my issue, I am usually trying to put the cap on frantically while water gushes everywhere, taking my time with the hose plugged up I think I was able to make a more solid connection. It seems overnight with filter off i lost maybe 3-4 inches of water from this leak. Filling pool more as we speak.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
How many turns do you guys usually get ?
My lid doesn't screw on in the traditional sense. It has a 1/4 turn locking thread that basically just seats the )-ring in place. Pressure differential is what makes the seal (at least on my pump) so it is important the O-ring seal properly and evenly.

Place a shut-off valve in your line so water won't gush everywhere.

Qwaxalot

In The Industry
Jun 20, 2012
Is that a Hayward pump with square pump basket? If so that gasket is particularly susceptible to dirt and distortion. Get a replacement gasket, pry out the old gasket and thoroughly clean out the groove that the gasket sits in as well as the mating surface on the lid (WD-40 is useful). Reinstall the gasket with a light film of lubricant and it should be fine.