Best filter/system for high maintenance yard ( oaks, magnolias, etc)

dywhite392

Apr 30, 2024
Florida Panhandle
Hey,

Currently have a Heyward 1.5 hp variable speed pump paired with a 24 in heyward sand filter with pentair chlorinator, nautilus cc robot vacuum on a 22,000 gallon pool. Sand filter is leaking from multiport and drain as well as not filtering well (it is probably 10-15 years old). Looking into upgrading the filter as well as possibly going to saltwater. I have lots of large magnolia trees, oak trees, shrubbery, and lots of pollen/seeds that fall into the pool making it difficult to maintain clarity and shocking/backwashing a lot here in northwest florida.

Wondering if a cartridge filter would work better than sand or a sand with glass media, or if the cartridge would clog quickly and be more maintenance due to amount of organic matter in pool.

Also looking for recommendations for salt-water conversion due to easier maintenance rather than buying chlorine and shocking constantly or testing weekly and adjusting depending on rain, etc. Basically looking for easiest way to maintain this high maintenance pool, even if it cost more to do so, I would rather have my time back and spend a little extra money.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Size of the filter matters more than type of filter. Get the largest filter you can for the most time between cleanings. A 520sq ft cartridge filter can go a while between cleanings.

How many gallons in your pool?

What automation or pool controls do you have?

What pump do you have?

How do you chlorinate your pool now?

Hey,

Currently have a Heyward 1.5 hp variable speed pump paired with a 24 in heyward sand filter with pentair chlorinator, nautilus cc robot vacuum on a 22,000 gallon pool. Sand filter is leaking from multiport and drain as well as not filtering well (it is probably 10-15 years old). Looking into upgrading the filter as well as possibly going to saltwater. I have lots of large magnolia trees, oak trees, shrubbery, and lots of pollen/seeds that fall into the pool making it difficult to maintain clarity and shocking/backwashing a lot here in northwest florida.

Wondering if a cartridge filter would work better than sand or a sand with glass media, or if the cartridge would clog quickly and be more maintenance due to amount of organic matter in pool.

Also looking for recommendations for salt-water conversion due to easier maintenance rather than buying chlorine and shocking constantly or testing weekly and adjusting depending on rain, etc. Basically looking for easiest way to maintain this high maintenance pool, even if it cost more to do so, I would rather have my time back and spend a little extra money.
It is very likely that sand has never been added to that filter since its install. A sand filter can lose up to 10# a year and after 5 years usually need at least one bag added back. The sand doesn't wear out, but it does get backwashed out, slowly. When there is not enough, the filter doesn't.
Can't argue against a very large cartridge filter, especially with a VSP. You would likely only clean it yearly.
Or you may want to get a larger sand filter, say an S310T2 that holds more dirt and is easier to backwash than pulling large cartridges out and hosing them down.

Hey DW !!!! I'm Dudeblue392. :)

I had 500 sq ft carts with 80+ oaks on an acre. I started with 160, got the pool around 120, and decided it was easier to move when I had 80 oaks left than it was to keep going.

They took this much crud every spring, and I cleaned them because I knew they were gross, not because the PSI went up anything appreciable. They could have gone the rest of the season but I cleaned them for me.

Screenshot_20240430_162855_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240430_162853_Gallery.jpg

When we built pool #2, a 500+ cartridge filter was on the non-negotiable list. (As was a 3 HP VS pump and large SWG).

Running 24/7 while sipping energy at low RPMs, with a SWG topping off the FC around the clock, is the ridiculously easy way to do poolcare. I cannot possibly overstate how little I need to do, and the pool sparkles so much it's blinding.

Reactions: 1poolman1