Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2020
Minneapolis
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I noticed a slow drip coming from a (union?) valve of my filter (I believe it’s the return port). Please see the red circled area in the pic. I’m also attaching a pic of the Filter - I believe it’s a Hayward s200.

Should I attempt to tighten this nut? Just leave it alone? Replace it? It slowly builds to a drip, so it seems rather tame at the moment.

I’m not sure if this is related, but a family member ran the pump for almost an hour with the MPV in “closed” position. It was just after realizing this that I now see a drip coming from the filter, but it could have been happening before. Perhaps they’re unrelated?

Thank you for any help!

Attachments

• 5B4E2640-81F0-4EFF-A95D-000A65853332.jpeg
    5B4E2640-81F0-4EFF-A95D-000A65853332.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 8
  • C4BF144B-532D-441B-8128-CC6039A3D071.jpeg
    C4BF144B-532D-441B-8128-CC6039A3D071.jpeg
    742.1 KB · Views: 7
Ohhhh I'd say that pump building up pressure against a closed multiport valve probably encouraged this problem for sure! Do the simple stuff first...check your union, re-tighten it, etc. Check your gaskets and use pool lube where necessary.

Reactions: capricatunes
Ohhhh I'd say that pump building up pressure against a closed multiport valve probably encouraged this problem for sure! Do the simple stuff first...check your union, re-tighten it, etc. Check your gaskets and use pool lube where necessary.
I’m concerned with adjusting and tightening because these parts are so old. I’m worried I will make it worse... is it harmful to have a slow leak like this? It appears to be filtering well still. I don’t want to keep adding water, but I also don’t want to crack a valve that’s already aged. Know what I mean?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.