Leaking Hayward Sand Filter - Pump Running with MPV “Closed”

capricatunes

Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2020
Minneapolis
I noticed a slow drip coming from a (union?) valve of my filter (I believe it’s the return port). Please see the red circled area in the pic. I’m also attaching a pic of the Filter - I believe it’s a Hayward s200.

Should I attempt to tighten this nut? Just leave it alone? Replace it? It slowly builds to a drip, so it seems rather tame at the moment.

I’m not sure if this is related, but a family member ran the pump for almost an hour with the MPV in “closed” position. It was just after realizing this that I now see a drip coming from the filter, but it could have been happening before. Perhaps they’re unrelated?

Thank you for any help!

Attachments

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
Ohhhh I'd say that pump building up pressure against a closed multiport valve probably encouraged this problem for sure! Do the simple stuff first...check your union, re-tighten it, etc. Check your gaskets and use pool lube where necessary.

Reactions: capricatunes

capricatunes

Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2020
Minneapolis
Ohhhh I'd say that pump building up pressure against a closed multiport valve probably encouraged this problem for sure! Do the simple stuff first...check your union, re-tighten it, etc. Check your gaskets and use pool lube where necessary.
I’m concerned with adjusting and tightening because these parts are so old. I’m worried I will make it worse... is it harmful to have a slow leak like this? It appears to be filtering well still. I don’t want to keep adding water, but I also don’t want to crack a valve that’s already aged. Know what I mean?

sktn77a

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
The leak has no consequence other than to your sensibilities. ;) You can check that the o-ring is seated correctly and that it has silicone/teflon lube/sealer on it (NOT caulk). Then, strong hand tight should be all it needs.

• Love
Reactions: capricatunes