leak when running in recirculate mode

FlaPoolGuy

Gold Supporter
Oct 5, 2019
Florida
Hey everyone, I switched my pump from running in "filter" mode to "recirculate" mode to recirculate my water until I do my next backwash. Lo and behold, a small amount of water started coming out of end of the pipe where the waste/backwash water usually comes from. It looks like about 1 pint per minute. Is this normal/to be expected, or should there be absolutely no water coming out of the waste pipe when in "recirculate" mode? Thanks!

Sounds like you have a tear in your MPV spider gasket.

I am not sure if this is your MPV but it is like part #13...

Long story. I'm currently doing a vitamin c treatment for copper staining (that's in another thread), and my filter pressure rose to the point I needed to do a backwash. Unfortunately I did not have time to do it at that moment, but I wanted to keep my pump running to circulate the vitamin c and sequestrant. "Recirculate" seemed like a good temporary strategy to help the treatment circulating until I could backwash.

I've since backwashed so can resume regular "filter" mode once I can dump DE in the skimmer.

Because I'm still relatively new at pool ownership and maintenance, I wanted to know if the fluid leak was a well known sign of impending failure. Thank you again!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.