pool stain update

FlaPoolGuy

Gold Supporter
Oct 5, 2019
Florida
Hey y'all, I'm back at it. I put the repeated cycles of Vit C treatment on hold due to the cold water/weather. Started again about 1.5 days ago (sunset Saturday evening). Put in 3.5 lbs of vitamin C plus about 1/2 lb of "Iron and Cobalt Remover" plus 1.5 quarts of "Super Metal Control" from Local Pool Store. the "Super Metal Control" is a pink liquid. Also added 16 oz polyquat 60.

This go around I have more knowledge, and I can see the stains lifting faster. It looks like the lesser stains lift first, followed by the more obvious ones.

... and no more improvement. I'm beginning to doubt if there ever was because the stains look different depending on the lighting. Still have several of these around the edge of the pool, which were not there last Fall.

1586307620205.png
I have several of these around the edge of the pool, and all of them are just below the tile line. They seem darker than all the rest of the stains, and the current vitamin C treatment hasn't done a thing to them. Also, I have not put anything in the pool other than bleach/chlorine, muriatic acid, baking soda, and municipal water since last year. Have any of you seen anything like this? Thanks again!

Edit: after thinking about it I remembered I have just another 2.5 lb of vit C left, so I dumped it in. Added another 1 qt of "Super Metal Control". The pool is starting to get cloudy. How often during this process do I need to reapply polyquat 60? Thanks.

Last edited:
I unfortunately dumped the rest of the Vitamin C in the pool yesterday. I'll have to get more and test the newer, bigger stains. My DE filter pressure jumped in the last 24 hours from 14 to about 20, and the water isn't flowing over the waterfall as rapidly, so the filter seems to be getting clogged with something. I switched from filter mode to "recirculate" mode for now. I know I'm going to have to backwash out the crud in the filter, but I'm waiting until tomorrow so my extra Vitamin C and "super metal control" I added yesterday have 48 hours before I start backwashing them out.

Interestingly, I think the water itself might have SUPER amounts of copper. The water is SUPER blue. Here's a picture of the water in front of the tiles. The middle portion of the tiles are all white. When looking through the water the tile is vibrantly blue. I'm hoping that's the copper, but boy does that seem like a TON of copper to make the water look like that!

1586397973417.png

Here is the same picture, annotated. The part of the tile with the black outline should have the same white background.
tile-close-up-blue-edited.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.