@Jimrahbe

Ran pump briefly this morning in full daylight and I’d describe it as much worse. It’s pouring out pretty good. Hoping someone can help me with some suggestions. After stripping it back down and reassembling, everything seems tight and snug but the pump is leaking like crazy.

@JamesW

Can you pinpoint where it's leaking. It may not be where you think and not coming from the repair. There are other seals in the assembly. Look your model up to see what other seals parts there are such as the diffuser seal and others. Maybe the drain plug gave out or even a cracked housing.

You made some mistake. You have to do it again. Check out the videos on YouTube that show how to do it.

Well I assumed I had screwed up somewhere too, but I watched about ten videos before I did it, one particular video as I was doing it (and consulted manufacturer’s schematic as I reassembled), and then went back and watched several of the same videos afterwards to double-check myself (opened it back up to make sure). Everything went in the right direction and in the right order, everything was tightened using common sense. I’m pretty mechanically inclined, I work on cars pretty regularly as a hobby. I’m thinking at this point that diffuser seal or drain plug/drain plug o-ring makes most sense. It’s an old pump so it’s not out of the question for another questionable component to become compromised during a repair.

Reactions: wireform
I know when mine leaked (had just bought the house) the diffuser seal was in terrible condition.
It had swollen to about 3 times it's size. when I removed it, it was gooey and smelled really
bad. It was shocking to see it all once when it was out.

The other seals were shot too. replaced them and the diffuser seal and hasn't leaked
a drop since replacing in fall 2015.

The diffuser seal won't cause an external leak.

If it's the shaft seal, you should be able to look under the pump and see it leaking.

As a matter of course I’m just going to buy another shaft seal, another o-ring, and any other seals/gaskets that are on the parts list, and replace everything. We will see what that does.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.