Hoover, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Added 20 CYA yesterday so I ran the pump overnight to circulate. When I went out this morning I noticed that the pad at was damp at the base of the pump. At first I was worried that I had a leak and that I hadn’t noticed til now because the hot air evaporates it before I get home. But I couldn’t really find any moisture anywhere on the pump housing. Then I noticed that the grass and everything else in the backyard had dew on it. Could it be that the heat from the pump caused condensation to form up underneath it overnight, or does this look like I have a small leak?

Attachments

• 48E22B8C-2A8E-4A45-9622-1FBE87588C68.jpeg
    48E22B8C-2A8E-4A45-9622-1FBE87588C68.jpeg
    732.6 KB · Views: 42
  • A559D637-15C3-4551-8C0C-09A55A7B2840.jpeg
    A559D637-15C3-4551-8C0C-09A55A7B2840.jpeg
    665.6 KB · Views: 40
  • E6F17E5B-D4B5-48C2-ABEA-AD87B6A490B2.jpeg
    E6F17E5B-D4B5-48C2-ABEA-AD87B6A490B2.jpeg
    696.6 KB · Views: 41
pt,

Could be condensation, but I suspect you have a shaft seal leak.. Up under the pump is a hole that the water will leak out, when the seal is bad.

I would slide something dry under the pump and run it for a couple of hours in the sunlight and see it it gets wet..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Still pretty damp under there after a few hours. After shopping around a few of the usual parts suppliers online, it looks like the soonest I can get a new seal in hand without paying an extremely expensive rate (like 1/3 cost of a new pump) for expedited shipping is about a week. And then it probably won't be until the weekend that I can actually do the work. I've read that an unresolved shaft leak can lead to bearing corrosion or seizing. Any advice on whether I should pay a lot more to get the part faster, just run the pump as usual for a week (or maybe for less time per day and supplement with higher SWG and bleach), or shut it down altogether and go into full-blown manual pool care mode for a week?

It's probably a seal leak. Condensation is reduced by heat. Condensation is caused by cold (think iced drink).

You should be able to find the seal locally.

Get it fixed before water ruins the motor.

Why is the pump lid so dark?

It's probably a seal leak. Condensation is reduced by heat. Condensation is caused by cold (think iced drink).

You should be able to find the seal locally.

Get it fixed before water ruins the motor.

Why is the pump lid so dark?

The plastic is clouded. Don’t know if that’s reversible or if I should just get a new one. I took ownership only 3 weeks ago so I don’t specifically know the cause because I don’t have a whole lot of history on the care and maintenance of the pool other than when various components were updated/installed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We only have one pool store in the metro area not named Leslie’s and when I called a while ago they said they have the seal in stock, thank goodness. With the pad now dry, I see there is some thick white residue underneath, which I can only assume is CYA that hasn’t fully dissolved? Wondering if the acid actually caused the seal to finally fail.

Attachments

• 8CE42513-4CBB-43CC-877A-58BFE924D97A.jpeg
    8CE42513-4CBB-43CC-877A-58BFE924D97A.jpeg
    401.3 KB · Views: 19
It's just the normal minerals in the water that are left over after the water evaporates.

It's like if you boil a pot of water until all of the water is gone. You would be left with the dissolved solids that were in the water.

Just went out to check everything and shut the pump off for the night (Had a chunk of cya still in the sock that was too far below the return stream) and now noticed a nice wet spot under my filter. I believe I’ve traced the source back to the top just under my multiport. Bad spider gasket? Not sure if all these leaks are springing up all of a sudden or if they were existing and just unnoticeable because of the 95+ degree heat the last week or so.

Actually scratch that, seems like it’s coming from the collar at the top of the filter body but below the MPV.
You have to check if it's not trickling down from even higher up. Have seen the threads of the pressure gauge leaking once. If it is the collar, do not open it till you have the replacement on hand. If all else functions a small trickle will not kill you but once you go in there don't expect it to close up.

The plastic is clouded. Don’t know if that’s reversible or if I should just get a new one.
Remove the lid and place it out in the grass.
Use a deck brush and see if it cleans up using just soap and water (probably not all of it)

Then, pour a solution of 2:1 water and muriatic acid in the upside down lid and let it soak for a few minutes. Wear rubber gloves and brush it with an acid brush from one of the big box stores.

Reactions: PointeTaken
Replaced the shaft seal and the o ring today. Still have a leak, this one slightly worse than before. I checked to make sure everything was seated tight and snug. Any ideas? Hoping it could just be a matter of the pump needing to run a little while for a good seal to form, as I’ve seen with other types of pumps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.