Leak in skimmer line to pump

May 16, 2016
Toronto
HI,

Looking for any suggestions ....

I noticed that I have been loosing about 3/4 of ware overnight from the pool.
I think I have a leak somewhere between my skimmer and the pool pump.
- I plugged the return lines and kept the line from the skimmer unplugged and pool lost almost 3/4 inch overnight
- I plugged the skimmer line and kept the return lines open and lost no water overnight

- I then dug up along the skimmer line to the pump at all the "joints" that connect the PVC pipes to the pump and saw no leaks at the joints ( checked with pump running and pump off)
- I then dug around the skimmer and located the pipe coming from the skimmer and saw no leaks (its a copper pipe that comes out horizontally out of some concrete)
- there is no air in the pump basket when the pump is on

Is it possible to have a leak in the line and have no air bubbles in the pump basket?
I am confused as to where this leak could be. If there is a crack along the pipe from the skimmer to the pump, wouldn't there be air bubbles in the pump basket?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

HI,

Looking for any suggestions ....

I noticed that I have been loosing about 3/4 of ware overnight from the pool.
I think I have a leak somewhere between my skimmer and the pool pump.
- I plugged the return lines and kept the line from the skimmer unplugged and pool lost almost 3/4 inch overnight
- I plugged the skimmer line and kept the return lines open and lost no water overnight

- I then dug up along the skimmer line to the pump at all the "joints" that connect the PVC pipes to the pump and saw no leaks at the joints ( checked with pump running and pump off)
- I then dug around the skimmer and located the pipe coming from the skimmer and saw no leaks (its a copper pipe that comes out horizontally out of some concrete)
- there is no air in the pump basket when the pump is on

Is it possible to have a leak in the line and have no air bubbles in the pump basket?
I am confused as to where this leak could be. If there is a crack along the pipe from the skimmer to the pump, wouldn't there be air bubbles in the pump basket?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
You seem to have isolated the leak to the suction line. Yes, there can be a leak in that line and no air in the pump. That line is under "vacuum" when the pump is running and can pull debris temporarily into the leak and plug it. It really takes a leak detection company to pinpoint the problem, or you start doing a lot of digging. I would suspect any copper that has been in the ground a long time, they are notorious leakers. It can be full of many tiny holes that are easily plugged under suction conditions.

You seem to have isolated the leak to the suction line. Yes, there can be a leak in that line and no air in the pump. That line is under "vacuum" when the pump is running and can pull debris temporarily into the leak and plug it. It really takes a leak detection company to pinpoint the problem, or you start doing a lot of digging. I would suspect any copper that has been in the ground a long time, they are notorious leakers. It can be full of many tiny holes that are easily plugged under suction conditions.
Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.