Leak from bonding portal: Hayward PowerFlo Matrix 1.5hp

JWoodsSRI

Aug 2, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
TFP Friends,
Installing a new Hayward PowerFlow Matrix 1.5 hp for my above ground pool. All good with one exception, I seem to have a persistent leak around the gasket where the bonding wire runs from the strainer basket to the bonding lug. I've tried grease and plumber tape, but I'm just not getting a seal around the bonding wire. Any tips I'm missing? I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Jim

I'm having a hard time imaging your situation. I have that same pump running at the moment. Much like my old Waterway Supreme. The pump pot is simply held to the volute with that one retaining clip in the pot. Then the volute is screwed to the motor face. But the bonding lug is on the back side of the motor. :scratch:

Can you post some pics?

Reactions: Mdragger88
I think that is a water bond probe inserted in the pump like being discussed here...

I think that is a water bond probe inserted in the pump like being discussed here...

@ajw22 it is the Water Bond Probe. However, that issue in that post you shared seems to be electrical. My issue is leaking from the gasket surrounding the probe.

@ajw22 it is the Water Bond Probe. However, that issue in that post you shared seems to be electrical. My issue is leaking from the gasket surrounding the probe.
Yup, and I wanted @Texas Splash to understand what he was looking at.

I don't have experience with that gasket to suggest a fix. I would not put something like Pool Putty on it as it will make it difficult to impossible to remove and service.

The circled white area has rolled and looks displaced.

I would remove all the pieces and examine them and figure out what is defective and replace it. I don;t think the fix will be simply smear something on to stop the leak.

1716747147157.png

@JWoodsSRI , is this what your bond items looked like?