Landscaping update ideas?

MIpoolAL

Bronze Supporter
Jul 15, 2017
Clarkston,MI
Hi All,

Looking for suggestions to refresh and update our backyard pool area. We've owned the home and pool for just over a year. We've learned that the rocks surrounding our pool are doomed to two issues:

1- Weeds, weeds and more weeds. Pull em, spray em, ugh. The previous homeowner used vegetation barrier in some spots, but that was eons ago.

2- The rocks cook the area surrounding our patio, seems to really retain the afternoon heat.

3- Its generally boring to look at. I'd like to fill in the area with some decorative plants that will survive SE Michigan winters. I know better than to plant trees for fear of root systems causing damage and leaf-drop. We started with some basic planters around the deck/patio, and hanging baskets with annuals.

Thoughts? Care to share what you've done? (Pictures are from spring 2018 open)

file.jpgfile-1.jpg

Wow that's a lot of rocksl! Pain in the butt to move too, we just did that in our yard. Maybe you could clear out the rocks on either side of your walkway and put down some brick pavers or something that will give you more usable deck space. Leave 3-4 ft all around the back and left side of your pool for plantings and maybe mulch? Our backyard is all pool/pavement/pavers/mulch as we did not want to deal with any grass around the pool area. We're in MI too and have arborvitea, knock-out roses, hosta, japanese grasses and canna around the pool. You could also do some planted hibiscus in some pretty pots along with some potted flowers in various spots around the pool deck to bring in some needed color. Good luck!

I love the Hampton style pools where grass lawn surrounds the pool. I say leave a small path of rocks around the parameters of the pool. Then, put grass sods everywhere else to soften the look. Then, you can put bushes around the fences. Anything other than rocks will require more care for sure...

You need color! You need grass!
I would start by either staining the decking to a natural cedar color or swap out for trex ($$$)
To the left where I see a lounger leave the rocks and build in a fire pit. You can delineate the rock/grass transition with small boulders and plants like Lilyturf.

I would add tall grasses along the back fence line to give the eye something to look at, it is too flat. If you want year-round color go with a flowering evergreen like azaleas, they are not too messy.

As is, it is all too harsh and monochromatic. You need to soften the edges and add color color color everywhere. Buy big colorful pots in multiple sizes and shades. Place them in groups of three on the corners of your pool decking. You can add a few solar lights to the pots to add evening pops. You could even string lights along that back fence that are solar activated for light at night.

Hope this helps.

For that area I would suggest you sink some posts and put a few shade sails in. Would make it really nice! I strongly advise against anything that requires a lot of maintenance.

I personally like low maintenance greenery around the pool of varying heights. Boxwoods arborvitae and zebra grasses of varying heights. The thing I love about the grasses is their movement in gentle breezes

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.